Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #21  
Your tractor does not have enough power to bend a PTO shaft? At a minimum you have a very good chance at wasting a shaft if you hit something with the front of the cutter.

quite frankly i dont see how you hit something with the front of the cutter.

1) the entire front of my cutter is open to the world, else the grass/weeds/trees/brush would never make it to the actual blade.
1.1 ive driven over and flattend anything "soft" and anything hard (like a 6" tree) i just run into with the front of the tractor, and we stop that way.
2) the only part of the cutter that extends down to close to ground level is sides.
3) on my tractor when you run a 3pt low enough that the cutter is in the right height, your in the float postion on the 3pt which allows the impliment to rise up on the 3pt arms but not drop below the preset lvl. so the front of the cutter rides up ontop of whatever concrete block i managed to not notice when i drove over it with my wheels as the sides of my cutter follow just on the outside edge of the brush hog.

no my tractor doesnt have enough traction on dirt/grass to generate enough force to jam the front edge against an immovable object, fling the back end up (not ride over) and bend the PTO shaft in half.

you suggest things that just can not exist in the real world for a whole number of reasons.

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #22  
quite frankly i dont see how you hit something with the front of the cutter.

1) the entire front of my cutter is open to the world, else the grass/weeds/trees/brush would never make it to the actual blade.
1.1 ive driven over and flattend anything "soft" and anything hard (like a 6" tree) i just run into with the front of the tractor, and we stop that way.
2) the only part of the cutter that extends down to close to ground level is sides.
3) on my tractor when you run a 3pt low enough that the cutter is in the right height, your in the float postion on the 3pt which allows the impliment to rise up on the 3pt arms but not drop below the preset lvl. so the front of the cutter rides up ontop of whatever concrete block i managed to not notice when i drove over it with my wheels as the sides of my cutter follow just on the outside edge of the brush hog.

no my tractor doesnt have enough traction on dirt/grass to generate enough force to jam the front edge against an immovable object, fling the back end up (not ride over) and bend the PTO shaft in half.

you suggest things that just can not exist in the real world for a whole number of reasons.

The front of the cutter would include the front of the sides. If you are running a rotary cutter a lot of the time you are on rough ground and the could be rock, stumps, holes etc. to catch the cutter on. I know people that have had a this happen to them (my Dad). Luckily he saw it happen and got on the clutch before he tore the shaft up and or it came over on him. Depending on the tractor it may not come over on the operator, the ROPS may catch it but you will still tear all kinds of stuff up. On a older tractor like a 8N it could land on the operator.

Read post #7
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/265868-how-do-you-use-your.html

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #23  
When pulling ropes and chains I get a deep, uneasy feeling - something along the lines of "what if that rope snaps and it comes at my head like a freight train?". I noticed that many of the logging winches now come with a screen up top to protect the operator and decided that even if I couldn't afford a new logging winch, I could knock together a serviceable screen. I also use it to carry my loppers and spare bungie cords:

View attachment 295908

You know, I have had that very same feeling, but hadn't thought of a way to fix it....love this idea!

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #24  
You know, I have had that very same feeling, but hadn't thought of a way to fix it....love this idea!

You could use a strap.

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #25  
You could use a strap.

Whenever possible, that's exactly what I do. I have a lot of dead Ash trees that have fallen around the perimeter of my yard, and some of them are far too deep to get a strap on, and I can't easily get my tractor back to them. I'm trying to skid all of them out because they look terrible in the winter, and I have friends who can use the firewood. For those, I use a rope, or chain. I've actually just started using a new cable winch (The Wyeth-Scott Co. - portable winches | cable puller | come along winches) that I ordered with Amsteel Blue rope on it...incredibly strong, floats, and has zero memory or spring back if it fails. It's about $100 for 30ft of the 3T rope used on the puller...might look into getting 75' of it or so for use with the tractor....it's amazing stuff, and the puller is off-the-charts nice.

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #26  
No neutral/freewheel that I can detect. Just a throttle lever and a fwd/rev pedal.

Found a relief on a G2160

I have a G2160 and in the manual it says do not tow and the dealer had no idea on how to move unpowered. I have thought over time and wondered how they got these things down the assembly line when they are making them?

One day when doing the hydro service I found a plunger on the hydro case itself with two ears guarding it. Pushed it in and it stayed in but found I was able to roll mower back and forth. When I started it up the plunger popped out and it was again locked. So you may double check there may be a relief valve under the mower that is not commonly know as i found out, the 2 speed hydros are easy you just shift to neutral.

David kb7uns

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery
GMan - One tool I find indespensible when pulling logs with a rope is a snatch block:
Snatch Block by Smittybilt
Strapped to the trunk of an anchor tree, it allows me to redirect the pull around obstacles. Also, I can actually see the log as it's moving, and know to stop the tractor if it gets hung on anything.

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery
Found a relief on a G2160

I have a G2160 and in the manual it says do not tow and the dealer had no idea on how to move unpowered. I have thought over time and wondered how they got these things down the assembly line when they are making them?

One day when doing the hydro service I found a plunger on the hydro case itself with two ears guarding it. Pushed it in and it stayed in but found I was able to roll mower back and forth. When I started it up the plunger popped out and it was again locked. So you may double check there may be a relief valve under the mower that is not commonly know as i found out, the 2 speed hydros are easy you just shift to neutral.

David kb7uns

Thanks - that's a good idea - I'll look for something similar when I get the deck off of it. And I had the same thought, wondering how they move these things around at the factory.

/ Boom Pole used for Vehicle Recovery #29  
GMan - One tool I find indespensible when pulling logs with a rope is a snatch block:
Snatch Block by Smittybilt
Strapped to the trunk of an anchor tree, it allows me to redirect the pull around obstacles. Also, I can actually see the log as it's moving, and know to stop the tractor if it gets hung on anything.

Good point. I've used a tackle block in similar fashion when felling trees that were leaning the wrong way...lets me be out of the intended path. Hopefully the new tractor with FWA and forks will cut down on how many I have to skid out!