boompole

/ boompole #11  
Face it guys, Nothing should ever be pulled from a boompole, thats what drawbars are for. Boom poles are for lifting. Nothing being pulled should ever be attached above the centerline of your tires. For safety sake, the lower the better.

/ boompole
I'm glad I asked the question. I se safety is really big for the pole.

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ boompole #13  
Ray, this game (not really a game /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) is alot about weight distribution... and also taking into consideration the weight limits for your tractor and implements (something it looks like you are already aware of). If the back of the tractor is being asked to lift a considerable amount of weight, there needs to be enough weight on the other end to counter balance it.

If you're going to use a boompole, you need to make sure it's within the limits of what your tractor can handle (no amount of counter balance will allow one these little tractors to lift a tractor trailer full of beef -about 40 tons) /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. On the opposite end of the spectrum... a larger compact (like my NH TC35) can be expected to easily handle a boom pole with a 500 lb limit without any additional counterweight since the front end weighs plenty enough to counterbalance it. Then you have something in the middle where you have a smaller tractor with a heavy duty boom and you know that if you try to lift a half a ton, your front end will not be heavy enough to counter balance it... so, you add weights (perhaps you have a loader and you can lift some stones or you have purchased additional weights for your front bumper.

In any event, the key is knowing what your weight limits are and how to balance them.

/ boompole #14  
Jinman, BTW, your Golden Jubilee looks sweet... I just sold my 47' 8N in May... I miss it. Wouldn't mind seeing more pictures of that.

/ boompole
Thanks EagleEye,
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifWhere is Maine. NY? is that up by Plattsburg or over by Watertown?

/ boompole #16  
Well, the Jubilee doesn't look that good anymore. As a matter of fact, I have been in a quandry about keeping it because the transmission is making a tick-tick-tick noise and I haven't had time to look into the problem. That tractor has paid for itself many times over, and if I keep it, I'll restore it and just keep it for collector value. There is a style and look to the Old Fords that I don't believe any other tractor has ever achieved. Although, Fergusons and Massey-Fergusons are good-lookers too. Maybe it's the short wheelbase. Hmm...

On your comments about boompoles, I would only add that I think the maximum lift at the end of the pole is around 500 lb and at the mid-lift point about the 750 lb. There are heavier poles, certified for more weight, but if you try to lift a pallet of concrete with one of these lightweight poles, your tractor will go skyward or the pole will collapse into a useless "heap." The heaviest thing I've used mine for is lifting 25' to 30' poles with someone stabilizing one end of the pole. For that, the boompole was ideal.

/ boompole #17  
Maine, NY is in the west side of Broome County near the Binghamton airport (actually, the airport is in the town of Maine)... which is just north of the Pennsylvania border... I grew up just outside of Albany (Voorheesville).

/ boompole #18  
Ray, BTW, welcome to the forums....These guys have been a priceless source of good advice and assistance to me. When I had my old Ford 8N, I used to spend a good deal of time on Yesterday's Tractors (another fantastic source for knowledgeable Tractor people) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ boompole #19  
Re: boom pole

Dan,

You state not to drag anything with a boom pole. I am considering getting one and one of its functions will be to help me move implements around. For example, I now use a chain over the FEL to assist in moving my brush hog, which is almost immovable by hand. I haven't yet gone the route of making attachment dollies as others have here. Since I have never used a boom pole, my question is, is it safe to use it in this manner? I am in a sense dragging the implement but only as it rolls on its back wheel.

Thanks
Dutch

/ boompole #20  
Re: boom pole

Dutch, don't mean to get ahead of the one you're addressing the question to but consider some of the physics behind this situation... The boom will pull from a level much higher than....let's say a tow bar. When the wheels turn, that torque will always try to lift the front end if it can (ever watch a tractor pull /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).... if you don't have enough weight on that front end to counter balance that which you are trying to pull from the higher level on the back end, you are going to find your front end popping up.

It's not a safe proposition to pull with a boom pole because you're pulling up high above (pulling downward where the weight and the force of gravity is...forcing the frontend upward) The axle is the pivot point where the torque is going to act like a clock turning clockwise (if you look at it from the side). Down at the tow bar below the axle will put much less lifting power in action on the front end.