Boston Butt

/ Boston Butt #41  
Whatever floats your boat but the egg's ceramics hold the heat allowing you to cook 24 hrs in subzero without lifting the lid. It also maintains high humidty levels eliminating the need for any water tray etc. I believe I was 48 years old before getting an egg although heard about how great they were for 5 years prior...I though, yea right. They are incredible cookers based on clay ovens used for thousands of years. I have told 10+ people to buy one and if they didn't like it I would buy it from them. I have never had to buy one from them... I have no affiliation with BGE but will tell you they are the best cooker out there, hands down.

I have no issue with what you are saying, but if price is a consideration...which it was for me...you can go with the Weber for about $200 bucks until you can break loose with the $700 or $800 it takes for the Egg. I also built a Cedar nesting table for mine, at a cost of about $250 just in materials; they run about $500 up for a commercially made table. FWIW, I just plunked down about $70 for a SS grate for my egg, and well worth it in my opinion...the Egg is not a small investment...

/ Boston Butt #42  
I have no issue with what you are saying, but if price is a consideration...which it was for me...you can go with the Weber for about $200 bucks until you can break loose with the $700 or $800 it takes for the Egg. I also built a Cedar nesting table for mine, at a cost of about $250 just in materials; they run about $500 up for a commercially made table. FWIW, I just plunked down about $70 for a SS grate for my egg, and well worth it in my opinion...the Egg is not a small investment...

I agree...it is a major investment. My cooking abilities have improved so much and my cooking results are nothing short of spectacular so we rarely go out to eat anymore. I can prepare a New York Strip dinner for wifey and I for under 10$, chicken under $5, Fillet around $10 and all are as good or better than any restaurant can produce. There are some savings associated that shouldn't be overlooked. Lifetime Warranty....

/ Boston Butt #43  
Getting back to the Missouri pork steaks cut from butts, the Germans make what they call "schwenkbraten" (swinging roast) from butt sliced into steaks.

There are various regional recipes, but I like the steaks marinated 24 hours with some vegetable oil for coating, chopped onion, chopped garlic cloves, salt, pepper and ground nutmeg. The steaks are cooked over a medium heat wood fire that is mostly coals but add small pieces of wood as needed, on a tripod-hung swinging grill. Beech is good neutral-flavored grilling wood, it won't overpower the meat and spices. Grill the steaks gently until they stop "sweating" the fat out.

/ Boston Butt #44  
I agree...it is a major investment. My cooking abilities have improved so much and my cooking results are nothing short of spectacular so we rarely go out to eat anymore. I can prepare a New York Strip dinner for wifey and I for under 10$, chicken under $5, Fillet around $10 and all are as good or better than any restaurant can produce. There are some savings associated that shouldn't be overlooked. Lifetime Warranty....

I don't know if you can get them up in your neck of the woods, but we buy what is labelled as "Smart Chicken". They are a bit more expensive (about $8 for a fryer), but they have never been frozen...and they cook up really well; and don't have the tell-tale bloody residue around the bones that you find in frozen chicken. With guests, leftovers are out of the question.

/ Boston Butt #45  
I don't know if you can get them up in your neck of the woods, but we buy what is labelled as "Smart Chicken". They are a bit more expensive (about $8 for a fryer), but they have never been frozen...and they cook up really well; and don't have the tell-tale bloody residue around the bones that you find in frozen chicken. With guests, leftovers are out of the question.

That is one "' smart chicken " he fleeced you out of $8...gotta hand it to him...:laughing: Devil made me post it...could not stop myself...Sorry ...:D

/ Boston Butt #46  
That is one "' smart chicken " he fleeced you out of $8...gotta hand it to him...:laughing: Devil made me post it...could not stop myself...Sorry ...:D

Can't ...
Stop ...
Myself...

How much does a dumb chicken cost? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Boston Butt #47  
Can't ...
Stop ...
Myself...

How much does a dumb chicken cost? :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

Smart chicken is nothing more then a dumb chicken that can screw you out of another $3. :D

/ Boston Butt #49  
The bloody looking bone marrow is a result of how fast chickens are grown nowdays. I have been buying my chickens from a local Menonite Colony and have to say they actually taste like chicken. The store bought stuff isn't bad just not as flavorful as "free range".

/ Boston Butt #50  
The bloody looking bone marrow is a result of how fast chickens are grown nowdays. I have been buying my chickens from a local Menonite Colony and have to say they actually taste like chicken. The store bought stuff isn't bad just not as flavorful as "free range".

Not to disagree with you, but I have never seen the "bloody bone" syndrome in a chicken that has never been frozen, and to my knowledge it is always, or almost always, present in frozen chickens.