Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #11  
I use a Lienbach 19-12 on my TC 18. It pulls really well after it is set up. I also have the optional coulter and guage wheels makes it real nice. Your tractor would handle the 19-12 very well. 19-12 Compact . I have some pics in my photo gallery. There is also a video of this plow at http://www.(Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure)/One-Bottom-Plow-p/lb%20plow%201bottom%20lb1912.htm

Solo

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #12  
I like fwj's opinion on the medium sized single bottom for the intended use.. etc.

soundguy

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #13  
Why not just get a 2 bottom and take on off for breaking the soil. When done put the second bottom on for later light work. I have a 4x4 28HP tractor and I just plowed up soil for a new go cart track. It was 3 foot tall with weeds and had never been worked. It was bush hogged down first then plowed. It was all my tractor cold handle in 4 wheel, low gear, and diff lock. By the way my tractor weighs 5,200# with me on it.

Chris

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #14  
I have a 24 HP B 7610 Kubota and I would like to do some planting in the spring. The land used to be scrub forest and brier bushes until I let loose my brush hog. This land has never been worked before. Is my machine powerful enough for a 3 pt double bottom plow (possibly triple)? Anyone have any ideas on the best brand/type? Thanks, Jester

YouTube is a great place to see tractors in action.

YouTube - More plowing with the Super C

This guy is plowing with a Farmall Super C and a 2-bottom plow (probably a 2-14). That little tractor has about 21 drawbar hp and weighs about 2900 lb. He's plowing new ground and really bogging down that Super C.

Your B7610 probably has comparable drawbar hp, but it only weighs about 1400 lb. You would have a tough time matching that Super C with your Bota.

I used to have a Kubota B7510 HST which is about the same size as your 7610. I could plow with a middle buster pretty well. Never tried to pull a moldboard plow with that B7510 but my feeling is that a single 12" plow would be about its limit.

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #15  
I can barely (read, not really) pull my 2x14 in virgin sod with 33hp Hydro with R4's.

a 24hp is unlikely to pull a 2 bottom and certainly not a 3 bottom unless they are the worlds smallest plow shares.

remember that a plow is properly set up to cut a furrow half as deep as its width. so a 14" wide is 7" deep. a 8" wide is 4" deep. a 16" wide is 8" deep.

so going from a 12" to a 14" plow isnt just adding 2" of horizontal dirt to move, its also deeper.

i would suggest a single 12" for a modern 24hp tractor

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #16  
Someone has mentioned getting a two bottom and just using one bottom for the rough initial plowing. This might work. However, I had a strange experience doing this once. The frontmost bottom (right) on a two bottom plow hit a rock and broke the shear pin and swung back out of the way. I didn't have a replacement pin so I figured I'd give it a try with just one bottom. Well, every time I went forward that rear bottom sank all the way to the frame and stopped me cold, whereas with both bottoms it was doing just fine.

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #17  
Someone has mentioned getting a two bottom and just using one bottom for the rough initial plowing. This might work. However, I had a strange experience doing this once. The frontmost bottom (right) on a two bottom plow hit a rock and broke the shear pin and swung back out of the way. I didn't have a replacement pin so I figured I'd give it a try with just one bottom. Well, every time I went forward that rear bottom sank all the way to the frame and stopped me cold, whereas with both bottoms it was doing just fine.

Growing up in MI I learned how to plow with a Allis WD45. All we ever had was a two bottom plow. It was all that 45 hp tractor wanted to pull that through the clay we had for dirt.

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #18  
I think you had problems since you were trying to use the rear bottom. If you remove a bottom you would need to keep the front one so it is aligned with the tire to cut the proper width. By removing the rear you would be trying to turn double the soil with one bottom.

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #19  
I think you had problems since you were trying to use the rear bottom. If you remove a bottom you would need to keep the front one so it is aligned with the tire to cut the proper width. By removing the rear you would be trying to turn double the soil with one bottom.

That was my thought too. I just didn't know why.

/ Bottom plow for a 24 HP tractor #20  
jester, scrub forest? Roots? Stumps? If you have those you may wish to run through it with a single shank subsoiler first to pull them out. Regardless the plow you use if you have stumps either drive very slow or have shear bolts or trips on your plows and wear seatbelt.

How do you use a middle buster? It throws dirt to each side so where do you come back to it on next pass? Not saying it does not work, don't understand it. Only ever seen or used them for bedding, digging such as potatoes or a trench.