Bought another ECHO...

/ Bought another ECHO... #51  
VP is 66-74% alkylate range just like the others but wont say solid #.

Most are 74% and why last 2 years when been opened and 5+ years stored sealed.

Search on it sometime all out there in their required data links.
Dont just take some salesmen or reps word. Most dont have a clue. They just sell and dont even look up to know what they are selling.

All I need is my Efree 89 and VPracing oil, good for 6 months for sure and have stored longer in boat and gen without ever a problem.

Ethanol 90 days and less and draws in moisture. Crap gas even needs special lines. Melts the old ones to a glob.
Why we see green lines in stihls when started changing over years ago.

View attachment 848145
You're not wrong a lot of times about sales ppl but our VP guy is pretty knowledgeable and pretty straight forward.
Knows more stuff than I care to listen to.
I like the Sea Foam stuff once in awhile.
Man, I wish the puritanical east coast had non e gas at the pump.
For the he pols up this way, to sell the stuff is akin to opening a cat house next to a grammar school.

/ Bought another ECHO...
Been discussed to death on the Arborists forum btw. I'll stick with my Red Armor canned fuel. Give it the 'sniff test' none of them smell like pump gas and your nose will tell you that. Gasoline has a distinctive smell, any gas and all gas does.

/ Bought another ECHO... #53  
Been discussed to death on the Arborists forum btw. I'll stick with my Red Armor canned fuel. Give it the 'sniff test' none of them smell like pump gas and your nose will tell you that. Gasoline has a distinctive smell, any gas and all gas does.
Neither does VP but it’s from a gasoline derivative.
Too many other chemicals in it to tell by the nose.
Gas l pumped in the 60’s smells different from the gasoline of today.
It had a much more tasty smell back in the day.

/ Bought another ECHO...
Neither does VP but it’s from a gasoline derivative.
Too many other chemicals in it to tell by the nose.
Gas l pumped in the 60’s smells different from the gasoline of today.
It had a much more tasty smell back in the day.
That is the corn alcohol in it that causes the stink.

/ Bought another ECHO... #55  
That is the corn alcohol in it that causes the stink.
Back to pertinent stuff.
Your 590 after mods seems stronger than my Husq 357. Heck, it seems to be able to run with a 620. I cannot run a buried 20 inch bar on the 357 w/o a bog. I wonder what the 590 would be like without the modding.
My 357 is unmodded.

/ Bought another ECHO...
Back to pertinent stuff.
Your 590 after mods seems stronger than my Husq 357. Heck, it seems to be able to run with a 620. I cannot run a buried 20 inch bar on the 357 w/o a bog. I wonder what the 590 would be like without the modding.
My 357 is unmodded.
I cannot answer that as I modded it before I used it the first time. One of those people who cannot keep my fingers off any saw, even a new one. I will say, with the muffler mod, it has a nice exhaust note. Very deep.

It's still on 40-1 and will be for a few tanks of fuel before I switch it to 50-1. I like to make sure everything is 'bedded in' properly before going to the recommended ratio and I didn't touch the mixture needles though I did pull the limiter caps.

Last edited:
   / Bought another ECHO...
I tend to do every muffler no matter what, simply because the mufflers are the main choke point with any modern saw, especially Stihl's.

/ Bought another ECHO... #58  
Years back some stock saws were tested by me and a friend.

2 were 357 and 590. 590 are grunt saws they have a long stroke. Look at that bore and stroke I posted.

620 should be ahead of both stock for stock imo.

16" round dry ash.
Husqvarna 357xp - 16.22
Echo cs590 - 16.37

g3600.jpg

h357weight.JPG
e590weight.JPG

/ Bought another ECHO...
Years back some stock saws were tested by me and a friend.

2 were 357 and 590. 590 are grunt saws they have a long stroke. Look at that bore and stroke I posted.

620 should be ahead of both stock for stock imo.

16" round dry ash.
Husqvarna 357xp - 16.22
Echo cs590 - 16.37

View attachment 848532
View attachment 848535View attachment 848536
Mine seems a bit heavier than that. I'll have to weigh it sometime. Is that just the powerhead and full of fuel or with a bar and chain included? Conversely, my ancient 028 feels much lighter.

So the 590 is a long stroke saw, that explains a lot about how it pulls a 20" bar in full cut ripping in a seasoned oak log. Never looked at the physical specs myself.

/ Bought another ECHO...
I almost bought the 620 when I bought the 590 but didn't. That was brain fart time.