Bought another ECHO...

/ Bought another ECHO... #61  
Mine seems a bit heavier than that. I'll have to weigh it sometime. Is that just the powerhead and full of fuel or with a bar and chain included? Conversely, my ancient 028 feels much lighter.

So the 590 is a long stroke saw, that explains a lot about how it pulls a 20" bar in full cut ripping in a seasoned oak log. Never looked at the physical specs myself.
That is PHO only dry like they compare them from factory.

To many variables the other way. Amounts of fuel held, bar oil held, bars used chains used all weigh different.

620 590 45mm x 37.6mm. Strokes longer then 372 husky at 36. But they go with really small bores.

/ Bought another ECHO...
I have read (elsewhere) that putting a 620 carb on a 590 nets a performance increases as well but mine is just fine as it sits. I was a bit concerned about the fines getting past the stock air filter but Nick's velocity stack and oiled foam air cleaner took care of that issue. I have to say the Bel-Ray filter oil is about the stickiest stuff I've ever used.

/ Bought another ECHO... #63  
Years back some stock saws were tested by me and a friend.

2 were 357 and 590. 590 are grunt saws they have a long stroke. Look at that bore and stroke I posted.

620 should be ahead of both stock for stock imo.

16" round dry ash.
Husqvarna 357xp - 16.22
Echo cs590 - 16.37

View attachment 848532
View attachment 848535View attachment 848536
Thanks
They seem comparable speed wise.
My go to bar length is 20”. Even when l was logging that’s mostly what l used.
A saw better balanced with the right size bar seems the lightest to me even if the head is heavier than the next.

/ Bought another ECHO...
620 is worth the extra 150-200 or so IMO. 620 has better porting and the hotrod compared to 590. Both have adjustable oiler. Metal handle, rim drum. There is some other things but would need to check my old info saved.

Oh better coil, carb too.

Most here dont need this info.
620 590 45mm x 37.6mm
Far as I know all Echo saws have adjustable bar oil pumps. I bought the 590 because I got a heck of a deal on it. My Kubota dealer where I work part time is an Echo dealer and he gave me a 'no refuse' price on it. He sells Red Armor canned fuel as well but I don't use the Echo bar oil, I use the Menards store brand and buy it on sale.

Wit the mods I did to the 590, it is plenty good enough for my uses.

I've heard that replacing the 590 coil and rev limiter with the 620 unit also peps them up though I did not do that.... yet.

/ Bought another ECHO... #65  
Cheapest I have seen 590's new by dealers in my group, was 299 - 319 during echo sells days.

I got the one from local firewood guy, that saw was 6 months old for 200 on trade.

Just so I could check them out. If ever was serious about keeping one. Echo 620 way to go.

620 also comes with replaceable rim sprocket drum instead of spur.

All those little things the 620 has better then 590 add up way over the 150-200 more initial cost. Besides better porting etc etc etc etc.

e590p.jpg

/ Bought another ECHO... #66  
I like my Echo saws. Bought a 620P a few years ago, then a 501P the next year. I had a local guy port the 501P, test cut it against the 620P in a chunk of 15-16 inch oak. There was less than a second between the two. The 620P has a 24 inch bar and the 501P has a 20 inch. Gave the 620P to the guy to get ported and it did a second test on the same chunk of oak, dropped 6 seconds off of the cut.

A couple months ago was at hunting camp with my FIL, who is a logger by trade, he grabbed my 501P and did some cutting with it and really liked it. He got a ported 501P from me for his birthday and loves it. He texts me every time he uses it thanking me.

The guy that ports them mainly works on Stihl and Husqvarna, says he's impressed with them and is getting one for himself, he's also a logger.

Tim

/ Bought another ECHO... #67  
I like my Echo saws but for some reason can't keep the carbs in tune. I had the stops taken off my 490, and my 590 runs good for a while, then gradually starts leaning out so that it eventually won't idle down. Until now I have never had a saw that didn't stay tuned once you get them set the first time.

Both are still under warranty, except I probably voided it on the 490.

/ Bought another ECHO... #68  
I like my Echo saws but for some reason can't keep the carbs in tune. I had the stops taken off my 490, and my 590 runs good for a while, then gradually starts leaning out so that it eventually won't idle down. Until now I have never had a saw that didn't stay tuned once you get them set the first time.

Both are still under warranty, except I probably voided it on the 490.
Some if not most saws utilize retainer springs surrounding the adjustment screw.
They get weak or sometimes even break or go missing and the saw cannot hold a set point.

/ Bought another ECHO... #69  
Some if not most saws utilize retainer springs surrounding the adjustment screw.
They get weak or sometimes even break or go missing and the saw cannot hold a set point.
Both saws are less than 3 years old and barely used.

Thank you for pointing that out. They do spend a fair amount of time in the box in the back of the truck.
My last Echo had the same problem, but it took a lot longer to act out. I ended up putting a new carb in it which worked for a while. Then one nice spring day I was walking out of the woods when I tripped and fell into a puddle. Luckily the saw kept me from getting wet. I got back to the truck, pulled the plug and drained the water out but it never ran right after that.:D

Last edited:
   / Bought another ECHO... #70  
Both saws are less than 3 years old and barely used.

Thank you for pointing that out. They do spend a fair amount of time in the box in the back of the truck.
My last Echo had the same problem, but it took a lot longer to act out. I ended up putting a new carb in it which worked for a while. Then one nice spring day I was walking out of the woods when I tripped and fell into a puddle. Luckily the saw kept me from getting wet. I got back to the truck, pulled the plug and drained the water out but it never ran right after that.:D
If that the case, only using non ethanol pre mix might behoove ya.
Would a battery powered saw fit in your world?
Echo in my mind makes the most viable ones.
They beat other battery saws costing much more.