Box Blade Cutting Angle?

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle? #1  

markb4343

Tractor
2021 John deere 1023E
Hey Just wondering if there are standard angles for the cutting edge to be attached onto a box blade? I have 1023E and plan on building a 54" Box blade. I plan on using a strip of hardox for the cutting edge. I cannot however find a good reference on the cutting angle. If parallel to ground were 0 degrees and perpendicular to ground was 90 degrees. what should it be? thanks

Attachments

• image.JPG
    image.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 74
   / Box Blade Cutting Angle? #2  
Welcome to TBN.

It might be interesting to read/view some road grader instructions/tips, as they vary the pitch angle for different conditions and purposes.

Bruce

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle? #3  
Start with the normal angle, whatever that is, it can always be changed with ease using a hydraulic top link.

I can measure a couple tomorrow if you haven't found what "normal" is by then.

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle?
Thatd be great @Too many Kubotas, it seems to be a trade secret with manufactured box blades. no one puts it online. I dug quite a bit, and only found arguments, no one actually saying what a unit was manufactured at. I dont know if the local john deere dealership would appreciate me on the yard measuring there attachments ;)

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle? #5  
Is the cutting edge going to straight or curved. I believe mine is curved so adjusting top link changes attack angle.

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle? #6  
Are you going to have a hinged rear blade or is it going to be fixed?

Are you wanting to dig or scrape level?

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle? #7  
When I built mine I used a piece of 3" x1/4" angle as a mount for the cutting edge so my blade angle ended up at 45 degrees. It works flawlessly. I'm not sure it really matters anyway.

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle? #8  
Changing the toplink also changes ripper height in relation to cutting edge. And it also changes the pitch of the sides....too far forward and the sides hold the edge off the ground. Too far back and you spill material as the sides arent parallel to the ground.

70 degrees is a pretty normal angle for a cutting edge

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle? #9  
I think he is planning on building a box blade and wants to know what angle the blades are attached to the box. One thing to keep in mind, if the blade has too much angle, dirt or other material will more easily flow over the blade vs sliding down the blade. I built my landplane with opposing angled blades so I do get some of this with 45 degree angled blades.

/ Box Blade Cutting Angle? #10  
I think he is planning on building a box blade and wants to know what angle the blades are attached to the box. One thing to keep in mind, if the blade has too much angle, dirt or other material will more easily flow over the blade vs sliding down the blade. I built my landplane with opposing angled blades so I do get some of this with 45 degree angled blades.
HE is asking the angle of attack for the cutting edge.

A box blade dont really have any other angles other than that

And 70 degrees is pretty normal