Box blade to grader?

/ Box blade to grader? #1  

Conservation

Silver Member
I have and use my box blade, but I also need to level a lot of dirt nicely and would also use it on my gravel lane too. Any simple examples of box blades made to work as a grader? Is adding adjustable wheels a good start? Need an additional blade? Any suggestions are of course appreciated.

/ Box blade to grader?
I just found some posts in customization. I think that wheel would help.

/ Box blade to grader? #3  
I've been thinking about the same thing. I think the gauge wheels would work, but I was also thinking of just bolting long skids to the side plates.

/ Box blade to grader? #4  
As John mentioned, guage wheels will go a long way to achieve what you're looking for. I know there's been a lot of threads on them, so do a search.

You might also want to look at this link.

/ Box blade to grader? #6  
After I have moved the dirt with my box blade I do a few final Grading passes. I use a higher speed then when ripping or scraping. The higher speed (scarifiers up all the way) and set the 3PTH so that the blade just floats. It will pick up the highs and fill in the lows.

/ Box blade to grader? #7  
Any one tried welding/bolting angle iron inside a BB to make a bionic grader blade? You would have to modify the back of the BB to allow material out.

/ Box blade to grader? #8  
I saw a local landscape Co. that put in lawns for new home bldrs., they bolted a pair of 4x6? or so oak skid "shoes" on the sides of their box blade, they were about 6' long. It worked like a carpenters hand plane, it would cut on the high spots and the long "shoes" would let it fill the low spots. Basically with it's long "wheelbase" it would kinda average out the grade. Very simple and not permanant. He may have had a steel runner under the oak because they put in a lot of lawns!

/ Box blade to grader?
I saw a local landscape Co. that put in lawns for new home bldrs., they bolted a pair of 4x6? or so oak skid "shoes" on the sides of their box blade, they were about 6' long. It worked like a carpenters hand plane, it would cut on the high spots and the long "shoes" would let it fill the low spots. Basically with it's long "wheelbase" it would kinda average out the grade. Very simple and not permanant. He may have had a steel runner under the oak because they put in a lot of lawns!

I like that!

/ Box blade to grader? #10  
That's probably as simple and cheap as anyone could think of.