Front-End Loader Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #41  
Wyld Bill said:
Tell me more about a York rake. I think he had some of those too. I thought those were for collecting rocks from the dirt.:confused:

"York" is actually a brand of "landscape rake". Many of us (me included) however ofter refer to the device as a York Rake simply because they must have been one of the first, best, most common or whatever. Whatever you call it though, if you get one with the caster wheels option, I think you will find it the best for routine grading, filling in small potholes (before they get to deep) and reestablishing a perfect layer of stones on the surface - ie. driveway maintenance. On the other hand, if you have severe washouts, large potholes, or need to move significant gravel, the rake just isn't severe enough.

Yes, a rake can be used to collect larger rocks and do other typical "raking" activities such as preparing a seed bed, picking up branches and other large debris, but IMHO, when fitted with gage/caster wheels it is the best tool for maintaining a gravel driveway. Besides York, King Kutter, Landpride, Woods and several others make rakes in varying sizes and construction. Usually, you will find that the wheels are optional, but greatly increase the usefullness and ease of use of the rake. Probably why there are so many posts on TBN for builiding gage/caster wheels.

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #42  
Digesting all the posts, I think that the best implement to use depends on surface state, type of material and ability of the operator. That said, any of the implements will work with various levels of suitability and irritation. I recently spread 30 yards of 'pack' (ground up asphalt) over rutted packed gravel using the FEL and rake with gauge wheels and it did a great job.

I have a rear blade but know my limits (gauge wheels are your friend).

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #43  
Also wouldn't be able to pitch driveway.

What was he talking about when he said that? What did he mean, exactly?

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #44  
3RRL said:
Also wouldn't be able to pitch driveway.

What was he talking about when he said that? What did he mean, exactly?

Obviously somebody that doesn't know the ups and downs of how to use an implement.;)

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #45  
Reading all the different posts about the differences between grader, box and rake, I might as well chime in about what I am using. I have a LP1572 rake with gauge wheels and the drop down grader blade.

The grader blade will act as a small box blade with the side plates attached, or as a grading blade without the sides.

I recently purchased the LP 2577 Scarifier that allows the rake to be directly attached to it.

I did a test on a short piece of driveway by taking out my wash board in one easy pass.

I will admit that the the above combination is not cheap, but I am tired of buying c**p implements that I constantly need to repair or replace due to going cheap.

Peter

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #46  
I need some advice. I have a 6' York rake and I also have a new 6' cutting edge. I want to "clamp" the cutting edge to the bottom, of the rakes tines and make it into a grader blade. I would run bolts through the cutting edge, between the tines and through a thick piece of angle iron, clamping it tight to the tines. Anyone think this is a bad idea? Keep in mind its just temporary until I can make a new frame for the cutting edge.

amitysanimal

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #47  
For a real temporary blade, sure that would work.
It might not be the most rigid and you chance straightening out those tines, but just be careful with it. Then get on with making the frame for the blade right away.

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #48  
I already have 2 broken tines, any ideas where to get new ones? The rake is made by York, the metal plates are missing that tells any other info. If I have to order online, how the heck do I know I'm ordering the ones with the right curve to them?

/ Box Blade VS. rear angle blade VS. FEL for dirt driveway #50  
amitysanimal said:
I already have 2 broken tines, any ideas where to get new ones? The rake is made by York, the metal plates are missing that tells any other info. If I have to order online, how the heck do I know I'm ordering the ones with the right curve to them?
Try contacting York either via this link or a phone.
York Landscape Rakes