Box scrapper lift up on a turn?

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
I'm breaking many things on my three point tractor with the Box Scrapper. So I'm doing something wrong.
Should I only, drop and drag in a straight line, or can I use it in a turn with out lifting? Sorry, if this is a very stupid question.

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #3  
I use a box blade in my forest, grooming trails and clearings. I am actually using a Cat 1 box blade with my BX24. I have added a couple concrete blocks for weight. I do a lot of turning with my box blade and once in a while back up using it, although I am extra cautious when doing that.

I haven't broke anything on my tractor, but my ground is clear. I did bend a scarifier on a tree root. Keep in mind that I am running turf tires so I don't develop as much pulling force as you might. If you are breaking things, I think it might be due to using scarifiers and running into unseen obstacles too often or too fast.

What are you trying to do with your box blade?

Doug in SW IA

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #4  
I'm breaking many things on my three point tractor with the Box Scrapper. So I'm doing something wrong.
Should I only, drop and drag in a straight line, or can I use it in a turn with out lifting? Sorry, if this is a very stupid question.
Avoiding sharp turns will help and let the box float a little left to right with your check/sway chains. Ken Sweet

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #5  
While pulling maybe don't turn sharp as you can. I run quite a large box blade for my tractor and I just go slow, no ramming into stuff.

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #6  
You might have too much box for your tractor. The box blade aka gannon is designed for forward and reverse use. The angle must be changed when reversing to prevent unwanted diggin in. Reversing with a box blade gives the flattest result as the tractor runs on the smoothed ground unlike in forward where the tractor is rolling on rough ground thus pitching the box around. Hope this helps.

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #7  
When you make a turn your box blade moves sideways. Take some time and watch how it moves with it lifted slightly. If you are on flat terrain and not digging to deep or working in loose material the sideways movement will most likely not cause any harm. But if you are in a slot, say, of hard or dense material the sharp turn will cause large side forces on your 3ph as the side of the box blade is forced against the lip.

gg

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #8  
If your digging and moving soil fairly straight lines...

If smoothing soil for a finished look, let out the top link a bit so the blade rides a bit more on the back blade going forward and long turns should be no problem.

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #9  
Breaking up the box blade or 3 point hitch parts?

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #10  
DO NOT use it when backing up,, that is when things are breaking,,,,, IMHO,,
Most literally have blades in the back specifically for "backing up".

I suppose if you don't look where you are backing and it stuff...but I would argue it is not the backing up, but the carelessness that is breaking things. Ymmv