Box scrapper lift up on a turn?

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #11  
The "Black" parts of this box blade were originally 3/8 X 2" steel,,
I wrinkled them like they were made out of bread dough backing up.

I remade the parts out of 3/8 X 3" steel,,
Those parts wrinkled almost as easy,,
box blade.jpg

THEN, I remade the parts out of 1/2 X 3" steel,,
NOW,, I do not use the box blade in reverse!! LOL!!

To be honest, the box blade was only rated for about 1/2 the horsepower of my 584IH,,
So, there is that,,

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #13  
A common and useful job for a box blade is back filling a ditch or foundation with the back blade.

CADp - A good example of why they put hp ratings on equipment..........

gg

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #14  
I always cringe at the array of contradicting answers a question like this produces.

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #15  
I always cringe at the array of contradicting answers a question like this produces.

I agree - there often is vital information and details left out and you don't know how much experience and common equipment sense the poster (or reader) has. For example people have bent their lower lift arms by using a box blade as a dozer in rough terrain while backing. That is a way different job compared to back filling a ditch with freshly dug loose material. It is difficult to know the difference between a doable job and abuse for the new tractor user.

gg

Last edited:
   / Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #16  
Ive always used my box blade in reverse, when needed, with numerous tractors over the years and have never bent or destroyed anything.
I have seen where damage has been done by others doing this though.
Traction has always been my limiting factor when using a box blade when turning or backing. This may be my saving grace.

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #17  
The geometry of a box blade and 3 PH are such that they were not designed to push in reverse. That said, we have all done it. I have on many occasions pushed piles of dirt down with mine so that I could drive over them forward. There are some very knowledgeable posters on this site that I value the opinions of. The rest I take with a grain of salt.

I think box blades were made for pretty much straight line work but I along with everyone has been lazy and left the blade down on turns. It's not recommended. I don't use a box blade any longer since i built my landplane.

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #18  
I was pushing backwards a deadfall off of a trail with my B7100DT-4' KingKutter boxblade and bent my lower arms.

My tractor mechanic was still working and brought them to work where they a hydraulic press and fixed them.

/ Box scrapper lift up on a turn? #19  
The geometry of a box blade and 3 PH are such that they were not designed to push in reverse. That said, we have all done it. I have on many occasions pushed piles of dirt down with mine so that I could drive over them forward. There are some very knowledgeable posters on this site that I value the opinions of. The rest I take with a grain of salt.

I think box blades were made for pretty much straight line work but I along with everyone has been lazy and left the blade down on turns. It's not recommended. I don't use a box blade any longer since i built my landplane.
I would disagree that a 3pt can't handle pushing in reverse due to geometry. Every time you lift a heavy implement on a 3pt and go bouncing across a field, the lower arms take lots of compression forces, so the 3pt hitch system has to be built to take its max lift weight and then 3-4-5 times that when someone hits a hole in a field and bounces the one side of the tractor up in the air.
Can using a box blade exceed even those forces? Probably if you start ramming stuff with some speed, but everything on an Ag tractor will break if you start doing that. At least with an HST tractor, its easy to ease into pushing or pulling and just run the tractor to its traction limit. If that isn't enough then you have use the noggin and figure out something else.