Breathing mask for welding

/ Breathing mask for welding #1  

scootr

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
What mask do you guys recommend for under the hood protection?

/ Breathing mask for welding #3  
I guess that squinting doesn't work. 😉😆
I've used a regular box fan in the general area to encourage sideways movement away from me. A nice temperature and gentle breeze is not always available but working outside has its good points.

/ Breathing mask for welding #4  
I occasionally use my hobby air mask when having to weld things like galvanized metal horse tie rails. Even if welded outside, I prefer the safety of my mask. I have it hooked to a 50’ hose to pump, and the pump takes its intake air from other side of building exterior away from everything.
I also use this when spray painting.
Mine is the half face model

the original reason I got mask is to wear when operating plasma cutting table.

Last edited:
   / Breathing mask for welding #6  
Clean air supply from some source is a requirement for welding! Even filtering it isn't as good as fresh air, but a lot better than breathing in fumes!
There are fresh air hoods for welding, which I don't happen to own, despite having a Sister who was in the safety end of business and would send me "Care Packages" from time to time with excess samples that had built up.
Miss those since She retired!
David from jax

/ Breathing mask for welding #7  
I use a 3m respirator with p100 pink discs. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000093499/

And I use a harbor freight auto tinting mask.

I used to weld without the repsirator and the **** that came out when i blew my nose was unnerving. Using filters completely changed that.
What I use as well, it fits under the hood well enough I don’t notice it at all. Just make sure you’re getting a good size/seal.

/ Breathing mask for welding #8  
I also use the 3M Half-Facepiece and 3M 2091 filters. As already mentioned, make sure you get the correct size facepiece, (6100-Small 6200-Med 6300-Large I think)

Attachments

• 3M 6391.jpg
    3M 6391.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 49
   / Breathing mask for welding
I also use the 3M Half-Facepiece and 3M 2091 filters. As already mentioned, make sure you get the correct size facepiece, (6100-Small 6200-Med 6300-Large I think)
I ended up getting a medium and a large to see which fits the best... Amazon > one will go back.

/ Breathing mask for welding #10  
Somewhere around 60-75% of people fit in a medium and almost all the rest in a Large. Very few smalls out there, unless you are talking about folks from SE Asia. This is generally true for all half mask respirators, though it will certainly vary with different designs and styles. Some only have 2 sizes and other have 4 or more.

As for filters even N95 will cover most welders, especially hobbyists, until you get into certain specific things like Chrome (a component of Stainless), but P100 is also very common. Either one will do fine and are the most common types. You can also find ones that have some activated carbon in them and will take out "odors" or "nuisance vapors" like the paint you singed when repairing something with your welder but don't have enough carbon in them for working with spray paint, for example.

I won't recommend brands, other than to say stay away from cheap China knock-offs of major brands that you can find on Amazon and other online places as you have no idea if they actually meet the requirements of the regulations or not.