Breathing mask for welding

/ Breathing mask for welding #11  
I've used a regular box fan in the general area to encourage sideways movement away from me. A nice temperature and gentle breeze is not always available but working outside has its good points.
^^^ I agree!
I have an old oscillating type pedestal fan in the shop I use when welding or even grinding. It sits right at the welding table height.

/ Breathing mask for welding #12  
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it seems that no matter where I put the fan I can still see the effects on my shielding gas. Irritating enough I moved to the 3M respirators even though it's a painus with the auto darkening helmet

/ Breathing mask for welding #14  
After a few suggestions from actual professional welders, Thought about wearing one than I repurposed this old industrial exhaust fan this thing moves air and it doesn't effect using gas on a mig, it was repurposed junk on a greenhouse that was decommissioned. Still use a respirator when occasionally painting with a hvlp gun though. Easy to mount on any shop window.

Attachments

• KIMG2371.JPG
    KIMG2371.JPG
    956.3 KB · Views: 35
  • KIMG2369.JPG
    KIMG2369.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • KIMG2370.JPG
    KIMG2370.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
   / Breathing mask for welding #15  
I seldom weld. But when I do - its always outside. Now my neighbor is a big time welder. Always welding to repair something. He has a big fan that clears the welding area.

/ Breathing mask for welding #16  
I had a friend who was a professional welder. He was also a smoker. Between the welding and the cigarettes, the haze was so thick in his shop, you could hardly see the far wall. Sometimes, he used a fan with the doors open, but not in the winter. He had a full beard so a mask was not very effective.

When his doctor found out he was a welder, he told him he might as well keep on smoking.

Sadly, he died of lung cancer in 2021 at age 53.

I weld occasionally and do so outdoors when possible. Otherwise, I open the windows & doors of the shop and use two fans. One large fan vents the shop and the other is a cordless DeWalt fan which I use to vent my helmet. I also have a beard, so a mask would only be partially effective.

/ Breathing mask for welding #17  
Welded for 40 years,never smoked and no breathing problems at all;never wore a mask of any kind.
Worst to weld is galvanized material,it will kill you if you are not careful.Up wind and lots of ventilation.
About 1/2 the time we were out-doors(pipe-welder).

/ Breathing mask for welding #18  
I wear a 3M half mask (same as the picture in post #8) with the pink pancake filters (xx97). I think both the xx97 and xx91s work for welding - it will say in the description if it's suitable for welding. I also weld only under a carport open on 3 sides, so if it's windy I have to wait for a better day for MIG welding.

/ Breathing mask for welding #19  
Welded galvanized outdoors sometimes got the smoke inhaled my piss looked like motor oil and wreaked was told cuz my kidneys were working overtime to try and filter nasty stuff I was inhaling. Used to have a lit smoke under my hood, Thankfully it was occasionally and these days don't smoke anymore I take extra precautions like attempting to grind galvanization off, extra ventilation same when I'm trying to weld aluminum my exhaust fan is always on in winter . The 3m respirator I use for painting does not fit under my hood.

Last edited:
   / Breathing mask for welding
The little pink pad respirator fits under my hood...Fans play heck with mig welding
I use the filter now for welding and plasma cutting. I enjoy metal work but it's not worth compromising the quality or quantity of my life.