Bristers Chuck Wagon utv

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #31  
Re: Bristers Chuck Wagon utv

I am looking at a 2wd at tractor supply that is on sale for 4934.28 with about $ 600 in extra options on it. the Bristers website list base price at $4495 i think. So it is a good deal in that sense. This seems like a nice low end unit, since it has a honda engine and dana rear end. I am curious if anyone who has one has used it to pull any weight with it up a dirt road hill? I want to use it to pull a small manure spreader and a small harrow for an indoor horse arena. My only concern is wether it has enough power and torque to pull an empty manure spreader ( about 400lbs ) up a 2 track dirt road hill back to my flat land. By the way I called Bristers and they were extremely friendly and helpful on the phone.

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #32  

One thing I think is a serious problem with the chuck wagon is that they are moving away from dealers that can service the machine to box stores that just sell them. Tractor supply used to sell a similar machine called a yerf dog now their gone. That business model works for a few years and then goes bust.

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #33  

My chuck wagon was bought in 2004, it idles rough with a revving up and down swing. It runs great on the high end. Has anyone had this similar problem with theirs ?

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #34  

I know it has been a while since anyone has posted on this thread but I think it warrents reviving.

We have one at our family cabin. Mom and dad bought the 2WD in I think 06 or 07 and it has been great. Got it at Rural King on sale and then a 10% gift card to boot. We use it quite a bit and have just changed the oil and had to adjust the cable for the diff lock one time. We probably need to change the belt and spark plug but haven't yet. Have hauled five people (three up front, two in the back) up some decent inclines and down through the creek without a problem. The engine doesn't bog down, the belt tends to slip first. Biggest complaint is only two wheel brakes, but after a little practice it's okay. It's not really for off roading anyway, more for work around the homestead, farm, cabin, etc. The suspension was rather stiff in the begining but has gotten much better. It turns nice and sharp w/o the diff locked and does good pulling w/ the diff locked. I've driven Mules, Rangers, and Gators and for the money I think it was good. It's not an apple to apple comparision but like I said, descent for the money.

Rutherford: I can't complain one bit about the engine at all. Runs great. Replaced the battery with a small car battery because it stays in an unheated barn and I have added some accessories and that makes it easier to start but it runs great.

Brandon

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #35  

We have owned our Chuck Wagon for nearly 6 yrs. It is one tough little buggy. Our only complaint is the brakes. They are not and have never been good. They need hydraulic brakes, but only have drum brakes. We use it every day, summer and winter. We put lots of miles on it. We use it for everything. I drive it to work in the summer. We live in a private comunity with a golf course and beach. It is great. My husband uses it for hunting and mudding all the time. Ours is just the two wheel drive. We are thinking about upgrading to a 4 wheel drive becuase they now have dhraulic brakes on the newer ones. Don't think twice about getting one. For the price you cant beat it.

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #36  

I just bought a new 650 from my local dealer. He made a good price on on the UTV with several options that I wanted. I'm looking forward to setting up my spray rig in the bed for some serious weed control :)

Does anyone have an idea of the maximum fording depth for one of these? There are a couple of creeks I will be crossing occasionally and I don't want to mess up the CVT or any of the other running gear.

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #37  

I must confess I too have owned a Brister Chuck Wagon since 1995.
The wife and I have a small ranch here in Texas and I have worked mine to death. So far the only problem I've had with it is the battery needed replacing. Mine is a 2 wheel drive and I built reciever hitch points to the front and rear. I rigged up a yard sprayer on it that is quick to detach and it works great. I've even pulled a 7 reel gang mower behind it to mow the front yard.

Recently we had 12 inches of snow here in North Texas and the wife and I bundled up and took a tour of the neighborhood just for grins.
DSC01208.jpg

As you can see I have modified mine to fit our needs here in Texas. The only thing I haven't put on yet is a windshield. Something the wife wishes it had every time she rides in it. I did add more lights for chasing coyotes off and some late night work, and added a grill guard and front rack to carry more supplies in one trip.

I can't say enough about mine as I've pulled and pushed trailers all over the property (I have 5 trailers of various sizes and move them with my Chuck Wagon to mow. Its dump bed has been filled to the top with sand and bricks and never failed to move them.

I put a remote control electric winch on the front and we raised the new kitchen cabinets to the second floor of my care takers apartment above the garage with a pulley and cable to the top beam eye bolt during a remodel.
Here it is moving the Refrigerator Freezer around.

DSC00119.jpg

You can see the barn in the background where I build a lot of stuff I use here on the Ranch. Keeps me out of trouble!

It's made in the USA and if the Honda ever gives me a problem I'm going to converted it to diesel. Everything else out her is diesel, so it makes sense. But, I have to admit the Grandchildren love to go with me in it to the Store a couple of miles up the FM road to get more gas and ice cream. ( We drive up the side of the road and have the proper SMV sinage and flashers which I added.

I'm thinking of adding air bag shocks and making a front loader for it for spreading gravel on the driveway.

I don't work for Brister and really other than as a satisfied Customer have no affiliation with them. The 4wd looks tempting, but since I've never gotten stuck in mine, I don't really need a 4 WD. Our Ranch is fairly flat and I know where to cross the ditches without getting stuck. And so far, the locking Diff has gotten me out of a lot of mud holes.

Sure there are better units on the market, but this thing has earned it's keep for us.

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #38  

Like the additions to your Chuckwagon! I'm curious as to how you wired in your lights and sprayer pump. I was thinking of adding a 12V relay wired through the ignition to some sort of power block where I could tie in various other things; winch, spray pump, extra lights, etc. I think that would keep the connections directly to that battery at a minimum and not rely on pulling too many amps through the ignition circuit.

Any thoughts?

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #39  

I just picked up a new Bristers Chuck wagon. after looking at all the utvs on the market, i found this one suited my needs. It didn't break the bank, 5K OTD. i wanted a UTV to take the garbage cans to the road, pickup the mail, and haul light trimmings and landscape tools around. Powered by a 11hp Honda engine, and a spicer rear gear i know i can get parts for a long time. the frame is heavy duty round pipe i looked at the Yhamaha pro hauler. it's in the same class but when we test drove it cold it just ran on the starter and poped a few times sputtered stopped sputtered veary cold blooded the honda power started an ran at the hit of the switch both were ice cold the Club Car had'nt been started in 6 months so anyone looking for this class of utv i will let you know how it goes

I have owned the 4 wheel drive for 7 years, wish i had purchased the two wheel drive.The only problem i have is replacing the front axle and bearing one time i have completely wore 5 sets of tires out, but back to the 4 wheel drive, the 13 H.p. ENGINE I HAVE is not strong enough to really handle 4 wheel drive.The one i have and all the others have the dif. lock so you can make both back tires pull at one time ,i personally have not had anything that i had to use 4 wheel drive for the lock will handle it i have used mine for hauling dirt hunting and riding my granddaughter every body uses mine and it's still going, i might add that Brister 4 wheel drive now has a25 hp motor that makes the 4 wheel drive great. I adjusted my throttle a little and the 18 m.p.h can easily be bumped up to 30 or better. i pull my boat and even put it in the water and it's not small it's 18 feet crestliner.My unit has broken twice in half but the last time i put pipe inside my pipe and now it's super strong.If i have to replace the motor i'm going to put me a 30 or better on it, i;m sure the rear end will hold it, just so i can cruise at speeds in excess of 40 milles per hour.I have a friend that bought his yahama a year after i did and he is on his 3rd one and we ride about the same way, proof i;ve done broke it in half twice.The Honda motor has been super no oil leakage or usage as of yet my neighbors say i have a million miles on mine since i ride it seven days a week.

/ Bristers Chuck Wagon utv #40  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A local Yamaha/Kawi dealer is selling the Rhino 450 4x4 for $7000 and the Kawasaki Mule 610 4x4 for $6400. I can't see paying more for the Chuckwagon with no high/low range, less power, air cooled, less of a dealer network, etc. The only advantage that I can see for the Chuckwagon is that at 47" wide, it's narrow enough to fit in a smaller pickup like a Ranger/Tacoma.
)</font>

I agree. I saw the 4 x 4 Chuck Wagon at TSC today and I liked the Honda engine and windshield. But no local service support, no locking differential, resale value compared to Polaris, Mule, Rhino????
I think that the Chuck Wagon is a little pricey.

ALL I HAVE SEEN HAVE LOCKING DIFF.