Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice?

/ Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice? #1  

Roady

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM 273
Hello all,

I have a new TYM T273 with 54 hours on it. Tonite, the sub-frame on the backhoe snapped leaving it almost dragging on the ground behind me. I'll attach some pics here for you to see but I have a couple questions before I hit the dealer up about it as this is my first tractor.

1. I have left the backhoe attached since purchase. It provides good weight in the back, and I use it a lot. Is this ok? Should I be taking it on and off all the time? Is it too much stress on the sub-frame to have it on 24/7?

2. This is obviously covered under warranty (or at least it better be ). I can't see a weld where it broke, meaning I think the steel itself snapped. Should I demand a complete new backhoe or settle for a fix?

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• tractor4.JPG
    tractor4.JPG
    819.8 KB · Views: 974
  • tractorfull.jpg
    tractorfull.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 890
  • tractorcloseup.jpg
    tractorcloseup.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 751
   / Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice? #3  
I think it's a design flaw. My backhoe was attached with beams all the to the cab of the tractor. I can't believe they hve all that stess on such a small amount of mass.

/ Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice? #4  
From what I see in the pics it looks like they stack two pieces of tube steel on top of each other and weld them together. Looks like part of the weld brke which eventually lead to the tearing of the bottom tube. Not exactly the best way of putting it together.
I would ask that the whole subframe be replaced.

/ Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice? #5  
Roady said:
1. I have left the backhoe attached since purchase. It provides good weight in the back, and I use it a lot. Is this ok? Should I be taking it on and off all the time? Is it too much stress on the sub-frame to have it on 24/7?

It is fine to leave the backhoe on all the time, using a decent subframe.
I do, and it is excellent ballast. This is the first I have heard of a
subframe breaking.

I would look at your pix, but us dialup folks need many minutes to
download such big JPG files. Please post smaller pix.

/ Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice? #6  
Where is your top link? I didn't see one in the picture but maybe I just missed it. The top link will prevent the bending load on the frame. That failure looks like a cantilever overload.

/ Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice?
Shaley,

Do you mean the top link on my 3 point hitch? Looking at the manual, there are no connections from the BH to the 3 point.

/ Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice? #8  
The top link forms part of a "truss" type connection and will take more than half the stress away from the sub frame. I'd check for sure. Never seen a sub frame mount that didn't have some sort of "top link" connection to take the moment forces.

/ Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice?
Steve, thanks a ton. I found some pics of another BH and sure enough there is a link there. The dealer never installed it. I feel alot better now. Again, thank you.

/ Broken Backhoe Subframe Advice? #10  
What Brand is a TYM? If it is a true subframe mount, you shouldn't need a Top Link.

David