Grading Brush Hog Blade Removal

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #1  

Dakar

Bronze Member
Can anyone tell me the trick to getting the hub to hold still to get the blades off for sharpening? I'm sure I am overlooking something real simple, but it has me stumped. Thanks in advance.

David

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #2  
Stick a crowbar, huge screwdriver, metal rod, or some such thing through the u-joint of the driveshaft so the driveshaft can't turn.

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #3  
On a PT, the "driveshaft" is a pair of hydraulic hoses attached to the hydraulic motor on the deck. Don't think a prybar will help there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gravy

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal
Thanks a lot for the quick reply, but the PT does not have a drive shaft, it is all hydraulic. Good answer for a conventional tractor though.

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #5  
This may not be much help, but I use an impact wrench.

Could you attach a visegrip to the shaft on top. It will hit the support bracket when you turn it.

Bob Rip

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #6  
If the hydraulic hoses are disconnected, the motor shouldn't turn. If they are hooked together, it allows the fluid to circulate and the motor to turn. Try it and let us know if it works. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #7  
My preferred approach is an impact wrench. If that is not available use a block of wood that will wedge between the end of the blade and a sturdy part of the housing. Then use a breaker bar and socket on the bolt holding the blade on.

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #8  
The only brush hog bolts I have removed have been with an easy-out. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal
Well Mossroad, when I read that I had one of those 'well duh' moments for about 5 seconds, then remembered that the hoses were not attached, and the hub still spins freely. I was alone this evening and didn't fare so well trying to hold a 2x4 in place with one hand and turn the wrench with the other, but I will give that a shot when I get another pair of hands to keep it wedged in place until I get enough torque on the wrench to hold it there. Sounds like an impact wrench would be very handy about now, but even with one, doesn't the same problem occur? Seems like the impact wrench would only cause the hub to spin considerably faster. Thanks for the help so far, and if anyone else has a magic answer, I am still all ears.

David

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #10  
To start with I guess you have got the attachment plate on the brush hog swung as far forward as it will go andbolted with the extra bolt holes. With it done this way you can hook on to it with the pt and turn it up till the rear wheels are resting on the ground and the front wheels are in the air. Get a boxed end wrench and put it on the bolt and with a ball pean hammer hit the other end of the wrench a lot of times that will break bolts loose another thing you might be able to do is put the box end wrench on the bolt and put a cheater on it and give the wrench a sudden jerk that might work. Im not looking at my brush hog now but this is something else you might do is figure a way to drive a wedge under the hub a little to help hold it or maybe you could use a bar behind one blade and in front of the other to help hold it. there might be other ways but I would have to go and hook mine up and look it over. When you are working on it don't hook the hoses up, you probably have done tried all of these suggestions already but in case you haven't one of these might work. Hope everything works out for you , you are doing something that I need to do also on the near future. If the bolts shows any wear on them it would be a good time to replace them. Hope something that I have said helps you out.