Grading Brush Hog Blade Removal

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #11  
Why are you taking the hub off, why not just take off the blades, and sharpen them, or get a spare set and always have a sharp set handy.

Impact wrench works best.

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #12  
<font color="blue"> then remembered that the hoses were not attached, and the hub still spins freely. </font>

Hmmm. I distinctly remember having the same problem. I always hook the hoses together when they are disconnected from the tractor so that dirt doesn't get into the connections. I was disassembling the unit to replace the bolts and such and had the same problem. Then I disconnected the hoses from each other and the hub would turn about a half a turn or so before it loaded up the pressure and I was able to get the bolts off. I did use an impact wrench to put everything back together and the second time I took it apart and put it back together, I also used an impact wrench. Surprisingly, an impact wrench doesn't spin the hub, just like it usually doesn't spin the tire on a car.

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal
Huh. I never have had anything as advanced as an impact wrench, but I would sure have assumed it would have made that hub spin like a top. Obviously something I need to get on this year's Christmas list.

Anyway, I finally was successful in getting the blades off. The secret seems to be getting the back side of the blade against the bolt head that prevents the blades from entangling, then getting the end of the blade up against a 2x4 wedged between the back edge of the brush hog housing where it angles up to discharge out the back and the other end of the board against the front wheel. Then with a wrench, cheater bar, small sledge hammer, stout friend and one busted knuckle, out they come. Did I mention that I want an impact wrench?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, especially Toy who was pretty much dead on with how I finally got it done.

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #15  
I had that same half inch impact wrench for many years. It's a knock off of the Chicago Pneumatic CP734. It works just fine with the difference being that the CP734 produces 425 ft. lbs. of torque and the Central Pneumatic produces only 250 ft. lbs. so I did find some bolts that it simply would not break loose.

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #16  
Yeah, it wouldn't take the bolts off that held the axles onto my old IH. I had to use the smoke wrench for those! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Brush Hog Blade Removal #17  
Im glad those suggestions helped you. Impact wrench is nice easier on the knuckels, Ive had one for a long time but I don't remember them being too awfull expensive and are a real time saver.