Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ?

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #1  

cbburrows

I am considering getting a new Brush hog for my b2910. I would appreciate your thoughts on various models / sizes. thanks

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #2  
I use a 5' <font color="green"> JD </font> 513 Rotary Cutter behind my B2910. The 513 is considered a light duty rotary cutter. <font color="orange"> Kubota </font> recommends a 4'. That's the size you should go with in a medium duty rotary cutter if you plan on cutting bigger than 1" in diameter. Weight of rotary cutter is a problem when going to a medium duty cutter with a 5' cut. They weigh over 1000 lbs.
My 513 does good in my fields that get cut at least one time a year. Can bog down in the heaviest stuff. But just letting off HST pedal will bring RPMs back up.

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #3  
Personally, I'd want a 5' model; i.e., slightly wider than the rear tires, so I could get close to fences, buildings, etc. Like Ron, I used a light duty 5' one with my B2710. I already had a 4' Bush Hog that was undoubtedly a little better quality than the 5' Howse 500 that I traded for, but not being wide enough to extend past my rear wheels just was not satisfactory for me, and I had no complaints with the Howse; it worked just fine.

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #4  
We have always sold the 5' Bush-Hog either the Razor-Back or the Squealer depending on the amount of cutting. I do recommend the loader as the perfect counter balance for running a bush hog behind a tractor. The larger stock tree's that might be found in a field are normally only a one time cut and if the field is maintained they aren't going to be found again.

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #5  
Art, I know that you know more about these things than I do, and I don't disagree that the front end loader is a good counter balance, if needed, but I sure did prefer removing the FEL when mowing, both for visibility and ride comfort. Naturally it made the front end a little light, but not enough to be a problem, when I picked up the mower, but when mowing with the tail wheel on the ground, I never needed anything on the front end. And yep, I sure liked the 4' Bush Hog Squealer on the B7100 and would have liked the 5' Squealer (which my cousin has for his TC29D New Holland), but I went with the Howse simply because I got it much cheaper in '99.

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #6  
Bird said it all...but in my circumstances, I prefer the loader on. I can't raise the cutter without making the steering to light for my tastes. I'm sure my property is more sloped then Bird's though.

Anyway...my reply actually deals with a recommendation. At least give a good look at the 5' Land Pride cutters. They're extremely robust (as long as you don't mind the sheet metal getting dinged up). I've cut some thick tall stuff of all sorts. My philosophy has always been, if I can push it over, I can cut it.

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #7  
Like Roy, I agree with Bird re the 5' cutter but prefer to keep the loader on for balance. I have a light duty 5' (M.K.Martin Thrifty Cutter) for my B7800 (same power train as your B2910). I have never had a problem with the engine bogging down, even in thick tall bushes. I just control the feed rate by varying the ground speed. (Love that HST /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). I find the FEL helps stability when backing down slopes into the bushes.

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #8  
My 2cents: I use a LandPride RCR18-60 (@500lb.) with my B7800 on rolling to steep hills and light to heavy brush and scrub pine, cedar, and assorted other soft and hard woods (and hard rocks occasionally, too). Mowing in low range and 4WD with the FEL attached has worked well so far (60+ hours with about half mowing). I have found the FEL handy for moving stones, logs, and dead branches out of the path as well as seeming to provide some balance (perhaps false sense of security). I'm new to this type of work and have only the LandPride cutter as experience.

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #9  
I pull a Woods BB60 (5 Feet) Rotary Cutter on my B7800 with the FEL attached when "mowing".

One comment made by a neighboor "You used a brush cutter for your front yard?".

It has a quality cut, to my liking, obviously.

I have not mowed without my FEL. As a matter of fact, my FEL has never come off the tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

My rear tires are filled too. So I have a nice ride. IMHO.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Brush hog Rec. for b2910 ? #10  
I have a the Woods BB60 5' rotary cutter on my B2910 and I love it. Would love to have a 6' model but the tractor couldn't handle it.