Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #11  
I'd try silicone.

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #12  
my personal experience with my plow and snowblower is that nothing works better than simply cleaning it and applying rattle can Rustoleum spray paint enamel each summer. You definitely do not want rust anywhere, as snow loves to stick to that.
Everything else just gets ground off after the first few uses.

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #13  
we had plastic inserts on our snow grooming machines on the ski hill.

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #14  
Got enough snow to use the blower today and discovered that Fluid Film will not stay put, especially when picking some gravel off the driveway. Even though I hand picked all the obvious rocks off the driveway a few weeks ago and used the plow a few days ago to make sure there were no rocks that would end up in the blower, it still happened. I even ran the blower with the skids down, to leave the cutting edge about 1" above the surface. My brand new blower has had a bunch of paint removed from the chute because of this. Can't expect Fluid Film to stay put if the paint gets taken off. Looks like I will be hitting the blower with some touch up paint after this season is over.

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #15  
When I had my first tractor I had a 3-point blower. I would always try to wait for temps in the teens or low twenties before I'd blow. Crusty, dry snow blows so very nicely. This crusty, dry snow would strip paint off the auger, impeller and discharge chute. Granted, it wasn't a premium paint on the blower. But it certainly doesn't take just gravel to remove paint. I'd go up/down my mile long driveway picking rocks. It was obvious with the first "blow job" in the fall - I hadn't got them all. I always figured - as long as they blew out the chute - no great loss. I used that blower for twenty one years. Then I got the Kubota. It's worlds heavier with a really heavy rear blade. My neck and shoulders are finally back to normal.

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #16  
Fluid Film or Wool Wax work extremely well on both my 36" snowblower and my truck plow. I spray everything down between snow storms.

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #17  
JMHO here. A warm blade, impeller, chute - etc will cause snow to melt. The cold conditions will, eventually, cause this melted snow to refreeze on the blade, impeller, chute, etc. You now have a very rough surface. Snow will easily stick to a very rough surface.

Keep your blade, impeller, chute smooth with a fresh coat of paint. Keep the blower outside - lessen the chance for snow to melt on blower components. Beyond that - most everything else is a bandaid.

An example. You have your tractor and blade/blower in a heated building. Out you & the tractor go to move snow. Snow will initially melt on the warm metal parts. Quickly the blade/blower will reach the outside temps. Any/all melted snow now sticks to these cold metal parts. You now have rough surfaces - snow will continue to stick to rough surfaces.

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #18  
Don't put used motor oil on equipment subject to winding up in the groundwater. Just a very small amount will get into the water table and pollute huge quantities of water that you also are drinking.

When I lived in a cold climate, Pam was used but was temporary. These days I'd look into sheets of that slippery plastic they line dump bodies and plow blades with. Should work great.

Last edited:
   / Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #19  
But they can pour liquid tar on miles of roads? Just sayin.

Oil would just be too messy. It would attract dirt and that might just make things worse for snow.

/ Brush on old motor oil to prevent snow sticking to plow #20  
Fluid Film and WoolWax are lanolin based and are non-toxic. I agree with others about keeping everything Clean and Painted and Cold though. The sprays just helped me stay clog-free and the slipperyness of it helped throw the snow farther. I still sling rocks on occasion and need to re-spray between snow storms. Silicone spray worked fairly well but cooking sprays tended to get gummy after awhile. Try Fluid Film or WoolWax on your snow shovel first and see the difference it makes.