Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!)

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #1  

Dascro

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610, Cub Cadet 1450
In preparation of installing some hooks on my loader bucket I spent several hours over the past week or so reading up on previous posts from all the forums concerning bucket hooks. Very informative!!

After all this reading, I have decided on my approach. But I do have some questions (even after all the reading!:eek:).

First some information; I am going to install two 3/8" towing grab hooks on my B7610 with a 352 loader. Each hook will be aligned with the loader arms. Since the bucket itself is fabricated from 3/16" steel my reinforcement of the "C" lip on the bucket will be 3"X 2"X 3/16" angle run the length of the bucket (stitch welded). Now my questions:

I noticed that most everyone uses 1/4" angle for the reinforcement. If the bucket is fabricated with 3/16" what value is there in using 1/4" angle? I just want to make sure I am not missing something here. Also, the welding will be easier if I am matching thicknesses. Since I am a hobbyist welder, I try to make my welding tasks as simple as possible. :)

Next, what is the consensus on grinding off the paint on the bucket before welding the angle onto the bucket versus just letting the welder burn the paint off when doing the stitch welding? Of course I will clean-up and paint afterward (using Allis Chalmer's "orange based on my reading! ;))? I am also thinking that leaving the paint on will keep more paint underneath the reinforcing angle in areas where I will not be able to paint after the angle is welded on. Comments one way or the other?

One last thing. Is it better to remove the bucket from the loader when welding the reinforcing angle onto the bucket?

Input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
   / Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #2  
Dave,
I also have a B7610 with an LA352 FEL. I removed the FEL from the tractor, placed the hooks directly on the bucket and had at it.

I use a stick welder once or twice per year and was never really taught how to weld.

The paint burned off OK, I didn't grind off the extra spatter nor touch up the paint and I didn't use any angle iron to reinforce anything.

I have pulled on these hooks pretty good and they are plenty strong.

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #3  
Here's a few pics of my bucket hooks with angle reinforcment. They work well. I used a Lincoln Mig.

Attachments

• Kubota Hooks 001 (600 x 399).jpg
    Kubota Hooks 001 (600 x 399).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,561
  • Kubota Hooks 003 (600 x 399).jpg
    Kubota Hooks 003 (600 x 399).jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,205
  • Kubota Hooks 004 (600 x 399).jpg
    Kubota Hooks 004 (600 x 399).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,079
   / Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #4  
Dascro said:
In preparation of installing some hooks on my loader bucket I spent several hours over the past week or so reading up on previous posts from all the forums concerning bucket hooks. Very informative!!

After all this reading, I have decided on my approach. But I do have some questions (even after all the reading!:eek:).

First some information; I am going to install two 3/8" towing grab hooks on my B7610 with a 352 loader. Each hook will be aligned with the loader arms. Since the bucket itself is fabricated from 3/16" steel my reinforcement of the "C" lip on the bucket will be 3"X 2"X 3/16" angle run the length of the bucket (stitch welded). Now my questions:

I noticed that most everyone uses 1/4" angle for the reinforcement. If the bucket is fabricated with 3/16" what value is there in using 1/4" angle? I just want to make sure I am not missing something here. Also, the welding will be easier if I am matching thicknesses. Since I am a hobbyist welder, I try to make my welding tasks as simple as possible. :)

Next, what is the consensus on grinding off the paint on the bucket before welding the angle onto the bucket versus just letting the welder burn the paint off when doing the stitch welding? Of course I will clean-up and paint afterward (using Allis Chalmer's "orange based on my reading! ;))? I am also thinking that leaving the paint on will keep more paint underneath the reinforcing angle in areas where I will not be able to paint after the angle is welded on. Comments one way or the other?

One last thing. Is it better to remove the bucket from the loader when welding the reinforcing angle onto the bucket?

Input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Grind the paint off, you will have a much better weld. This is a couple pics of my install on two tractors.

Attachments

• 5-12-07 012.jpg
    5-12-07 012.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,233
  • 5-21-2006 (2).jpg
    5-21-2006 (2).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,066
   / Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #5  
I used 1/4" angle iron because that is what I had on hand, I removed the paint due to the use of mig.

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #6  
Consider a slip hook on the center...I have grab hooks placed where you are placing yours, and have found that I really like having a slip hook in the middle.

A thicker angle on the top lip just gives a little more strength when you are pushing something. I like many others used 1/4 inch angle because that is what I had. Stronger is better where I come from...so I was happy with using what I had.

With a strong tooth bar on the bottom lip, and the reinforced top lip where the bucket hooks are mounted, I have not been able to bend my bucket, although I have tried many times...

I am sure you will be fine with 3/16 angle...

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!)
Thanks for all the input and pictures. Keep it coming, its interesting, helpful and appreciated.

For those of you that ground the paint off before welding, since I am planning on welding 3" X 2" angle reinforcing the length of the bucket, I am concerned there will be more bare metal remaining on the bucket inside the angle where I can't reach and paint than if I just let the welder burn off the paint where the weld is placed. Or am I being overly cautious?

I use a MM 180 MIG welder.

Dave

And I can only hope my installation turns out as nice as many of the ones I have seen on this forum! The bar is definitely set high!!

An update on my bucket hook project.

After some more reading, thinking and yes even some calculations (I am an engineer after all :)) I revised the reinforcement. I determined that the reinforcement I was planning far exceeded any loads the B7610 and 352 loader could generate. I developed something that is plenty strong and more inline with the tractor and loader.

Anyhow, I finished the project over the weekend. My welding isn't as bad as I was expecting, so that is always a positive. But it can sure use some improvment though. In any event, I think it will hold.

And to confirm some information I saw on TBN, Valspar Allis Chalmers orange available at TSC is darn near a perfect match to the Kubota orange on my tractor. I have to look hard (really hard) to see any difference at all. It covers nicely and leaves a nice finish.

All in all, I'd call it a successful project on the fabrication side. Now I have to start putting the hooks into use and then we'll see just how successful the project was overall. ;)

Dave

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #9  
These are mine. Dealer installed them before I bought the tractor. They did a nice job and they are very handy.

Attachments

• IMG_5075 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5075 (Medium).JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,120
  • IMG_5076 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5076 (Medium).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 827
  • IMG_5077 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5077 (Medium).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_5078 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5078 (Medium).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 768
Nice looking set-up, Shimon.

And I don't think you have to worry about it not being stout enough either!!

Dascro