Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!)

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #11  
Here's my 2cents. I was told it's overkill, but I figured do it once and be ready for all ocasions

Attachments

• Roll 100 - 30 (Medium).jpg
    Roll 100 - 30 (Medium).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 737
   / Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #12  
Kinda' surprising to hear of dealers installing hook on FEL buckets since the pamphlet owner's manual specifically says 'do not install hooks on there.

I'm just sayin'......

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #13  
I used the thicker angle since I milled slot in it directly for the chain to slip into instead of welding on hooks. I also bolted my angle onto the bucket, the angle was taped for the bolts to thread into and I have bolts into both sides of the angle iron. I have maxed out the hydraulics moving lots of stumps and that setup is up to the task.

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #14  
I got a hook for my BX 24, but the lip along the top edge is too tall for the hook to clear. I'd need to block it up with about 3/4" before it would clear the top edge. Note picture.

Would there be any problem using the back surface of the bucket to mount the hook? I'm going to be using the hook to lift small logs off the soil so I can chainsaw them to fireplace size. Note picture.

Attachments

• hook_top_edge.jpg
    hook_top_edge.jpg
    920.2 KB · Views: 600
  • hook_back.jpg
    hook_back.jpg
    941.2 KB · Views: 517
Last edited:
   / Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!)
Jabroni,

I would recommend welding some type of reinforcement onto the bucket. I wouldn't over do it, but I would beef the bucket up some in the area of increased stress from the hook. i did.

I know that lifting "small logs" just off the ground to saw into fireplace size most likely would not over stress the bucket even without any reinforcement. In actuality, I can almost assure that you will use those hooks for more than that at some point (cause they are so convenient and useful!!) and that is precisely when you will run into problems without some reasonable reinforcement. If your willpower is greater than mine ;) then maybe you will be OK just welding it to the bucket as in your picture. I know I wouldn't trust myself to limit just lifting "small logs" :).

Again, I wouldn't overdue any reinforcement since you have to account that there is a limit to the max stress the BX could induce on the hooks/buckets. I would use some reinforcement though. Your call.

Good luck either way.

Dave

/ Bucket Hooks Revisited (Again!) #16  
Dascro said:
In preparation of installing some hooks on my loader bucket I spent several hours over the past week or so reading up on previous posts from all the forums concerning bucket hooks. Very informative!!

After all this reading, I have decided on my approach. But I do have some questions (even after all the reading!:eek:).

First some information; I am going to install two 3/8" towing grab hooks on my B7610 with a 352 loader. Each hook will be aligned with the loader arms. Since the bucket itself is fabricated from 3/16" steel my reinforcement of the "C" lip on the bucket will be 3"X 2"X 3/16" angle run the length of the bucket (stitch welded). Now my questions:

I noticed that most everyone uses 1/4" angle for the reinforcement. If the bucket is fabricated with 3/16" what value is there in using 1/4" angle? I just want to make sure I am not missing something here. Also, the welding will be easier if I am matching thicknesses. Since I am a hobbyist welder, I try to make my welding tasks as simple as possible. :)

Next, what is the consensus on grinding off the paint on the bucket before welding the angle onto the bucket versus just letting the welder burn the paint off when doing the stitch welding? Of course I will clean-up and paint afterward (using Allis Chalmer's "orange based on my reading! ;))? I am also thinking that leaving the paint on will keep more paint underneath the reinforcing angle in areas where I will not be able to paint after the angle is welded on. Comments one way or the other?

One last thing. Is it better to remove the bucket from the loader when welding the reinforcing angle onto the bucket?

Input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

I considered reinforcement of the "C" lip on top of my bucket but, after looking at it for a while, I decided that I would weld 5/16 clevis hooks to the front of the C lip, rather than to the top, and angle them 45 degrees toward the opposite lower corner of the bucket. This allows me to hang a short chain loosely across the top of the bucket so that I can hang another chain in the center of that chain and use it lift an item. This way, the stress is not downward on the C lip but at a 45 degree angle toward the center of the bucket. This looks extremely strong to me and requires no reinforcement at all. I can also hang two chains spaced evenly on the draped chain at any two links on the draped chain.