Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #101  
One thing to keep in mind with a CTL or SS, even if it wasn't hydrostatic (which would be a real pain), you would still run at max throttle for anything involving the aux hydralics.

I know I'm playing up the advantages of a true power shuttle, but when you add either a constant hydralic load, or a PTO load, your in the same boat, and then the HST is 100% the choice.

I would 10 times out of 10, choose a HST over a traditional clutch and gear machine that doesn't have a shuttle (we arent talking tillage machines, hence loaders). Probably 9 times out of 10, choose a HST over a simple dry clutch shuttle; and 5 out of ten, choose Power shuttle or HST, case dependent. No experience with CVTs. For a true grading tractor with a loader (ie JD-210) I don't feel a PS has any disadvantages over an HST, as they rarely (if at all) came with a PTO. For general use, it really depends, if you are going to 85% use loader and box blade, or small plow/disc, PS. If your running a bushhog/broom(unless it has a dedicated hydralic pump)/tiller; and also doing a lot of loader work, the HST is the way to go.

Note, I have no experience doing real ag tillage or bailing;

Edit: I'm 100% Not saying a PS won't do those things well; what I'm saying is if your already running PTO RPMs, the PS doesn't, IMO, then offer the advantages it does with foot throttle, reduced RPMs when traveling,

Last edited:
   / Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #102  
A 544 is a pretty small loader. They come way bigger. I’d rather have even a small dozer over a loader for building a pad. Loading trucks is where a loader shines. The 544 bucket is 3 times bigger at least.
Also, when you move down to the 244/344 (or others of comparable size), the ones I've seen actually are HST, not PS. By no means have I seen them all, and I'm sure there are multiple options in the 'micro' front end loaders. They do make fantastic sod pallet or roll movers, bulk light material in tight areas, ect; but they do have a high center of gravity, it seem like inferior traction (vs a CTL), but do certainly have their place. Seem to be very popular with landscape supply, large sod installers, ect.

I would guess 90% of the loaders you see on a construction (vertical or horizontal) site, will be 544/644 class machines. I think JD has lost a big part of the market share, as when it has a 544H; I'll bet locally, 75% of loaders where JD; but when they dropped the 544J, you really started seeing more Cat/Volvo/Komatsu.

Edit; trying to stretch my memory, but some of those HST, micro-loader, Might have had a throttle linked HST peddle? I don't seem to remember a hand throttle on the two I've used, but its been every bit of 8 years ago, and I didn't use them daily.

Last edited: