Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #81  
I've added a camera so I can see the pallet fork tips without getting out or relying on guidance from others.
I thing that I do enjoy with the loader forks is the reach, loading a pickup with the tail gate open I can still get a pallet far enough forward or placed in the center of a trailer. Also I can load round bales in the center of two rows for a second tier. Unless your forklift has the extendable forks which most don't, also unless it's an off road fork most of them get stuck just looking at a dirt roadway or parking pad.
I have no issue using my power shuttle transmissions with their wet clutch paks and easing the clutches with forks or anything else on the loader or tractor.
Dry disk clutchs do take a bit more attention but most can go many thousands of hours even in loader work.
When doing loader work, manure or dirt with the power shuttles I do use the foot throttle quite a bit, as I drive into the pile I'm backing of the throttle to reduce the rpm as I start to curl back and lift, then I move the direction lever to reverse and get back onto the foot throttle, when backing out and turned and ready to go forward it is very similar, off the foot throttle, reversing lever to neutral, braking to a stop, lever to forward and back on the throttle.
Doing it faster then writing it out.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #82  
Nothing but gear shuttle on this ponderosa. If it's a shuttle. Nothing but gear if it's a transmission. I fixed a hydraulic one once. It was way cheaper to go buy another tractor with a gear shuttle, swap the hydraulic out for the gear shuttle. Both tractors ran fine. Way less than half the price of just the parts. Plus, the donor machine had four good tires.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #84  
Any clutch guys doing bucket work wish they had a hydro instead?
For having both a hydrostatic and clutch shuttle, if I were to do exclusively loader work I would select a Power Shuttle model.
While hydro is super nice for things like mowing or blowing snow I find it lacks the power of gears when you are trying to load that bucket or cut the ground with it.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #85  
For having both a hydrostatic and clutch shuttle, if I were to do exclusively loader work I would select a Power Shuttle model.
While hydro is super nice for things like mowing or blowing snow I find it lacks the power of gears when you are trying to load that bucket or cut the ground with it.
To me, lacking power when scooping up stuff with the bucket isn't an issue with HST.

Of course, I don't just drive into a mound of dirt with the bucket still level. Using the lever I can get a full scoop without running out of power or traction.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #86  
I will literally place money against anyone on a HST vs a shift anything. for loader work. You may keep up for 15 minutes but you will be working your butt off shifting if doing a lot of movements in a small period.

I just worked with a shuttle shift guy yesterday for 3 hours removing rock from a yard after a flood. his tractor was over double the size of mine, and I did over twice what he did, and he could shift absolutely perfect. your simply not going to keep up at that pace when all i do is move one foot, and he has to move multiple things, especially over long periods of time.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #87  
I just worked with a shuttle shift guy yesterday for 3 hours removing rock from a yard after a flood. his tractor was over double the size of mine, and I did over twice what he did, and he could shift absolutely perfect. your simply not going to keep up at that pace when all i do is move one foot, and he has to move multiple things, especially over long periods of time.
Hydrostat is a bit faster at loader work.
I'll give you that, but if someone knows how to use a loader and shuttle. No way in hell is a hydro tractor half the size of a shuttle tractor but twice as fast. No way.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #88  
Hydrostat is a bit faster at loader work.
I'll give you that, but if someone knows how to use a loader and shuttle. No way in hell is a hydro tractor half the size of a shuttle tractor twice as fast. No way.
I will literally put money on the table against people. considering we were doing rock removal and back dragging literally non stop for 3 hours, my right hand NEVER left the loader valve, both in forward and reverse, shuttle constantly had his hand off either having to shift to a different gear or change to reverse, and with the clutch there is a limit to how much a person can do at one point. I literally ran circles around him, and he wasn't having a single issue. Buy a HST, you will see, I knew it before I even bought my tractor, think about how fast skid steer guys work.

I ended up just filling his tractor bucket with mine halfway through, as he was taking to long to get the rock organised.

/ Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #89  
I will literally place money against anyone on a HST vs a shift anything. for loader work. You may keep up for 15 minutes but you will be working your butt off shifting if doing a lot of movements in a small period.

A power shuttle, the only thing you move is the shuttle lever forward to backwards, with the flick of a finger on the left side of steering wheel. The clutch (if equipped) is only for PTO or range, and you use the foot throttle exactly like you would on a vehicle. If you have never used one, they really are a joy to use. I would hazard to guess, it's faster then a HST, just because you have easier and more intuitive throttle. As your digging into the pile, while crowding and lifting, your pushing throttle, giving you more power while both pushing needs it, as well as they hydralics; as soon as it's full, flick that shuttle, back out, and flick over to forwards to take the material where you want it.

Stupid question; is there something that inheriteantly with a PS that prevents using them in small machines? Cost? Weight? Physical size? I want to say the MF 2860 is the smallest machine offered with one? Is a hydrostatic drive significantly cheaper then a PS? Or is it all an unfamiliarity that prevents it? They have been around since the 60s atleast, in almost all construction equipment.

Edit: the MF 1533 was available in a 12x12 powershuttle.

Last edited:
   / Bucket work with clutch /shuttle Vs hydro. #90  
I will literally put money on the table against people. considering we were doing rock removal and back dragging literally non stop for 3 hours, my right hand NEVER left the loader valve, both in forward and reverse, shuttle constantly had his hand off either having to shift to a different gear or change to reverse, and with the clutch there is a limit to how a person can do at one point. I literally ran circles around him, and he wasn't having a single issue. Buy a HST, you will see, I knew it before I even bought my tractor, think about how fast skid steer guys work.
What's a skid steer have to do with a tractor.
I run a skid steer nearly every day.
I can run circles around a hydro tractor for loader work