Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #21  
This is a grapple arm assembly that I built to replace the bucket arm for more detailed work, picking, crushing, etc.

You seem to have most of the steel that you will need. You know the power of the unit is determined by the size of the hydraulic cylinders. I have different sizes and shapes on mine. What ever you can find to keep the cost down. I even cut and welded new pieces on the ends of the cylinders rods to make things fit.

Attachments

• 828477-HPIM0043-2.jpg
    828477-HPIM0043-2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,079
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #22  
This thumb was laser cut. All I had to do was weld. It would have to be sized, length and width to fit correctly.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #23  
cdp-backhoe.com

It is a Canadian company .

The thumb was in kit form.

Some if my backhoe parts were from there also.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #24  
Thanks, JJ!

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
Thanks for the great pictures, J_J. The plans I have call for 1"pins made from 1" Rod. I was also thinking of using grade 8 bolts, based on our experiences with the Power Trac and its usage of bolts instead of pins. It would eliminate any cutting of rod material.

One thing the plans mentioned was that the bushings and rod end were drilled and pinned to keep the rod from rotating. That way, only the tube will move around the rod while the rod is stationary. Is this necessary? Does it matter if the pin rotates? I think if the pin rotates, the end bushings will take all the wear. If the pin is stationary, the bushings will never take any wear. The entire surface of the tube and rod will take the wear, which seems like it would spread out the wear area. Also, if the rod moves, the grease will never provide any lubricant as it will be moving with the rod, not letting the rod slip on it. I'd have to grease the bushings, wouldn't I?

If that is the case, if I use bolts instead of rods, what could I do to prevent the bolt from turning? I suppose I could pin the bolt through the bushing on one end. What do you think?

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #26  
Another option for those interested in getting a Hoe is to consider buying an older self-propelled Backhoe like a Dig It or one of the other common models. I have a Dig It and have been very pleased with it. Some people complain they don’t have enough power or that they scoot around because they aren’t heavy enough. However, the power issue can be addressed pretty easily (within reason). And the “walking” problem can be addressed by hooking it to your truck or tractor (although I haven't needed to do that yet). Frankly, these devices are a lot like the bucket on your tractor. When I first got my PT, I was a little disappointed because I couldn’t scoop a full bucket of dirt. However, I soon learned this was more a question of skill than tractor capability. The same is true with these hoes. People who go to the rental place and try one are often very disappointed. That’s because they take more skill and finesse to use effectively versus a big hoe. A big hoe can be forgiving on operator skill because it has more power and weight. If you are used to a big hoe, you will definitely be disappointed. However, with patience, practice and common sense, they seem to work pretty good for most common projects. I wouldn’t advise buying one to dig out a basement (although I’ve seen people use a PT to do that /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif), but I’ve been very impressed with mine. You can often find them on eBay for around $3k in older used condition. They seem to resale well too.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #28  
This is completely off topic, but what the hey.....

I wonder if some jurisdications require a license plate and all that jazz on vehicle towed implements? What a hassle that would be. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
Lots of folks tow log splitters and cement mixers around here. I wonder if it will be like that? Good point to bring up. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #30  
TN will probably be the last place to go under. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Right now, you don't even need tags on any kind of trailer, as long as it is noncommercial or farm use. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A lot of the commercial guys don't have them either. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif