Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
OFFFF to Harbor Freight!. You know tools are cheap when they sell them by the pound. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #42  
Yeah or have a name printed on them lol thats bad. Cant even curse its origins. Thats like Woods Sales here kinda like Harbor frieght they sell Chinese winches with the owners names Woods power winch. 170 dollars and its the ame thing as the 50 dollar Harbor freight winch.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #43  
<font color="blue"> OFFFF to Harbor Freight!. You know tools are cheap when they sell them by the pound. </font>

When I was trying to pull the hub of my PT-425's leaking wheel motor last year, I hied on down to Harbor Freight and bought the biggest hub puller they had in stock, which happened to be part of a set.

Once I got home, I assembled the puller and placed it on the hub. Well, I cranked and cranked and cranked and cranked on the puller nut, until finally there was this tremendous bang. Parts and pieces flew, birds departed the rafters, and a feral cat 500 yards away headed for the hills. After inventorying my extremities, checking my vision, and finding no blood evidence, I picked up the remains to return to Harbor Freight with the rest of the set. It was only then that I noticed the country of origin labeling on the box. "Made in India," it read.

From now on, I'm sticking with the good stuff from China. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #45  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yeah or have a name printed on them lol thats bad. Cant even curse its origins. Thats like Woods Sales here kinda like Harbor frieght they sell Chinese winches with the owners names Woods power winch. 170 dollars and its the ame thing as the 50 dollar Harbor freight winch. )</font>

Too true! Crazy world when you can't even always get what you pay for anymore! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #46  
<font color="blue"> Too true! Crazy world when you can't even always get what you pay for anymore </font>

-- Business Philosophy 101 --

Harbor Freight:

How cheap can we get it?
How much of it can we sell?
How cheap can we sell it?

Everyone else:

How much can we get for it?

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #47  
David, This is a drawing of what it should look like. Red is the tack weld.

Attachments

• 831047-LOCKING TAB.jpg
    831047-LOCKING TAB.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 813
Beautiful! Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #49  
Perhaps there's a reason this isn't being considered [and the tack welds do sound very quick and foolproof], but PT seemed rather found of NyLock nuts and I saw at least one "castle nut" on my machine too.

The former isn't as strong as a tackweld, but very simple for installation and removal [more than a couple install/remove cycles requires a new nut though]. The latter requires drilling a hole through the bolt for the cottor pin, but no big deal. Strong, but not a quick as a weld.

Also, I think drilling and tapping for the "lock tab" was discussed, again not as quick as the weld. How about red locktite?

Yeah, the lock nuts would work, too. I'm thinking several methods are possible when using a bolt instead of a large pin.

1. Weld the nut to the frame and use a lock washer under the bolt head.

2. Weld the steel stock to the frame on the nut side and use a lock washer under the nut.

3. Use the lock nut method.

4. Drill and cotter pin the bolt through the bushing on one side and not worry if the nut will come lose. This is similar to what the design calls for, with the advantage being I can buy bolts to the correct length and not worry about cutting rod stock for pins. Disadvantage is I think bolts will cost more than rod stock for pins.

All I know for sure is I will need some 1" ID X 1.5" OD tubing no matter which method I go for.

Keep the suggestions coming folks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif