Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #421  
MossRoad said:
J_J,
Sorry it took so long to get the fittings tested... had some "things" to take care of. ;)

The power beyond ports fit in just fine. Sorry I couldn't be of help on that one.

I wanted to use 90 degree fittings on the four work ports so that all my hoses would travel in the down direction. Unfortunately, there is not enough room to put in four W's. They hit each other when I screw them in. Good news is I did not order them yet. I only ordered the ones for the in and out. I'll have to look through the fittings at Surplus Center to see what they have.

I also had to relocate the two outside valves from the rear of my mounting plate to the front of the mounting plate to accomodate the length of the power beyond port/90 degree fitting combination. The center post that I mounted the bracket to is in the way. Also, this will allow me to keep some hoses away from my legs. The outrigger valve will remain in the center where it is now.

David, On using the fittings, I am using 90 degree fittings when I can. I am using straight fittings on the cylinder side of the valves, and attaching hydraulic lines that have a built in 90 JIC. I know that you are using three joystick, but I thought that I would use electric valves on the outriggers, and using toggle switches for control..

Maybe, that 0-ring on the power beyond is a little tight. I will try again.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #422  
J_J said:
David, I too went through the same thought process about the small backhoe project. Although you can find a used add on units, they usually run anywhere from $2500 to $5000, but they are just to heavy for the PT. I found a guy in Canada that laser cuts the small parts, and ships them to you in several boxes. I had to buy the 4X6, and 4X4 box stock locally. Steel has gone up about 30 % since then. The one I started is almost finished. I have built three different buckets for the unit. I'm guessing that the whole unit weighs around 650 lbs. I purchased all my cylinders and valves from Ebay.
I'm debating about using joystick or electric valves for the control. I adapted the unit for the three point setup.

JJ, I have also been going thru this exact process, buy or build... I was looking at that laser cut parts kit from the guy in Canada. Could you tell me how thick the steel is that is used for the boom swing pivot plates? Those parts pre-cut would seem to me to really speed up the time involved in fabrication and might just be worth the price if I could adapt the boom pivot area to the frame mount I have in mind for my tractor. Could you also tell me how far apart the boom pivot base plates are spaced vertically? Do yo have any pictures of that boom pivot area on your project?

Thanks

Last edited:
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #423  
RonMar said:
JJ, I have also been going thru this exact process, buy or build... I was looking at that laser cut parts kit from the guy in Canada. Could you tell me how thick the steel is that is used for the boom swing pivot plates? Those parts pre-cut would seem to me to really speed up the time involved in fabrication and might just be worth the price if I could adapt the boom pivot area to the frame mount I have in mind for my tractor. Could you also tell me how far apart the boom pivot base plates are spaced vertically? Do yo have any pictures of that boom pivot area on your project?

Thanks

Here is just one picture of the spindle just welded together. The thickness is 3/8, or 1/2 in

Attachments

• spindle assy.jpg
    spindle assy.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 433
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
J_J,
I'm using 90 degree fittings on the cylinders and straight fittings on the hoses. Pretty funny... two ways to accomplish the same thing.:)

As for the third valve VS the electronic soleniod valves, if I add a thumb I will either do that or use a manual diverter valve to switch between outrigger and thumb control.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #425  
J_J said:
Here is just one picture of the spindle just welded together. The thickness is 3/8, or 1/2 in

Thanks JJ, that was just what I was looking for. I kind of like the way the plates setup the outrigger angle. I will have to look at that guys website again. I think his parts kit is around $999, but it shure would save a bunch of fab time. Are you still working on the plumbing or have you got to use it any yet? I would be interested to hear how it works for you.

Thanks

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #426  
RonMar said:
Thanks J, that was just what I was looking for. I kind of like the way the plates setup the outrigger angle. I will have to look at that guys website again. I think his parts kit is around $999, but it shire would save a bunch of Fabe time. Are you still working on the plumbing or have you got to use it any yet? I would be interested to hear how it works for you.

Thanks

Every thing is welded together, and I just received the joystick valves. I plan to use two joystick valves , and two electric valves in my setup. I am also thinking of using two hyd sources. PTO, and the Aux circuit.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #427  
RonMar said:
Thanks J, that was just what I was looking for. I kind of like the way the plates setup the outrigger angle. I will have to look at that guys website again. I think his parts kit is around $999, but it shire would save a bunch of Fabe time. Are you still working on the plumbing or have you got to use it any yet? I would be interested to hear how it works for you.

Thanks

Every thing is welded together, and I just received the joystick valves. I plan to use two joystick valves , and two electric valves in my setup. I am also thinking of using two hyd sources. PTO, and the Aux circuit.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #428  
David, Check out this statement of the power beyond valve. This might change my thinking on some things. For instance, it seem like with a power beyond plug installed, the fluid flows through both valves until you activate upstream position . What happens when you are using the bucket, and you want to lift at the same time. Will the second function still work, or does it have to wait till the stick is back in neutral? According that statement the up stream valve has priority. What say you?

POWER BEYOND (HIGH PRESSURE CARRYOVER): A sleeve attachment which permits the oil flow from one valve (when in neutral) to be used by another valve downstream. Hence, a 3-spool valve could be connected to a 2-spool valve to create a 5-spool valve, The first valve takes priority and must have a separate outlet port to return oil from an activator back to the reservoir.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #429  
JJ
Spool priority will be a drawback of using a simpler open center valve with power beyond configuration. One valve operation at a time with the upstream valve having priority.

That is the advantage of using a parallel ported valve for the hoe. If I understand it correctly, when you operate a spool on a parallel ported valve, it diverts fluid to the circuit you are working on and into a parallel buss/dead end manifold. Any other spool you operate will not be able to draw fluid from the main manifold as the first spool has diverted it already. But as you move the lever, that spool will connect to the parallel and share the fluid that the first spool has sent there.

Now if the two valves individually have parallel ports internally, then all the spools on that valve can share the flow. But since the parallel gallery isn't connected between the two valves, only the main gallery via the PB port, the second valve will be deprived when any of the spools on the first valve are used.

I was thinking of getting another 2 spool open center to go along with the one I already have extra for my hoe project(save me a few $) and this will be a drawback. But my pump output is only about 5.5GPM, so how much sharing could they really do?

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #430  
RonMar said:
JJ
Spool priority will be a drawback of using a simpler open center valve with power beyond configuration. One valve operation at a time with the upstream valve having priority.

That is the advantage of using a parallel ported valve for the hoe. If I understand it correctly, when you operate a spool on a parallel ported valve, it diverts fluid to the circuit you are working on and into a parallel buss/dead end manifold. Any other spool you operate will not be able to draw fluid from the main manifold as the first spool has diverted it already. But as you move the lever, that spool will connect to the parallel and share the fluid that the first spool has sent there.

Now if the two valves individually have parallel ports internally, then all the spools on that valve can share the flow. But since the parallel gallery isn't connected between the two valves, only the main gallery via the PB port, the second valve will be deprived when any of the spools on the first valve are used.

I was thinking of getting another 2 spool open center to go along with the one I already have extra for my hoe project(save me a few $) and this will be a drawback. But my pump output is only about 5.GM, so how much sharing could they really do?

Thanks
That is the reason that I was going to use the Aux circuit hydraulics on the second joystick valve, and my electric valves on the stabilizers.