building a barn first curve ball

/ building a barn first curve ball
I talk to a surveying firm and sure enough they won't/can't used any of my information and would need to do their own, but wouldn't necessarily need to come on site, they could simply used public record map and base it on that, which is a lot less then I have provided. He told me that someone from the city simply should be able to come on site and make a judgment call and started telling me about that city's should fired their over prices consultant for the bigger centers... I was like ya I am figuring this first hand... I will see his quote but will probably simply sign the waver despite the probability of affecting my future resale value.

would you guys sign that waver ? or pay what ever that quote is to get it changed ?

/ building a barn first curve ball #53  
I suppose I could have it surveyed at any point. I could sign the waiver, build, and if I felt it worthwhile later, have it revised.

/ building a barn first curve ball #54  
Depends on the cost of the survey, and weather there is another build able area for the barn. On principle, yes, but if the survey is $5000, and there is another suitable location on the property, I probably would not.

I think I missed a part about the waiver; are you saying that you can sign a waiver, acknowledging the flood plain, and then proceed? If so, I would sign the waiver. Surveys arent cheap (we are talking a full topo, not propety corners) dealing with the government BS isn't cheap, and how much would a barn being in a flood plain really affect resale value?

Last edited:
   / building a barn first curve ball #55  
For the question of using your data; from the surveyors perspective, I wouldn't put My license (Registered Professional Land Surveyor, edit: im not saying im licensed, but if i was, i would not want to sign your work) on the line, using your data; much like engineers prefer to 'concur' rather than 'approve' another's work. I would Assume, if you sign the waiver, you won't be able to finance or insure the barn?

From the owners prospective; the waiver doesn't change the risk, and you would eb Hard pressed to get the city/county/whoever, to pay anything towards flood damage.

One hold up could be, if this 100% personal use, or is the barn part of a farming or other work related LLC or an asset of one?

Depends on the cost of the survey, and weather there is another build able area for the barn. On principle, yes, but if the survey is $5000, and there is another suitable location on the property, I probably would not.
No there is not another suitable location to built, there is a place where it is not in the ''flood zone'' but it is far away from services and it is 14 feet lower then my current ideal location so I am not building there. They will let me built where I want with the waver but then the land stay in the flood zone. That's the part I don't like but like CloverKnollFarms said I can always get that changes in the future.

edit: its not in the city ''flood zone'' but it is in a real flood zone. lol

Last edited:
For the question of using your data; from the surveyors perspective, I wouldn't put My license (Registered Professional Land Surveyor) on the line, using your data; much like engineers prefer to 'concur' rather than 'approve' another's work. I would Assume, if you sign the waiver, you won't be able to finance or insure the barn?
I don't blame them ether but the fact they will do the same work I did with the same data minus some it's kinda ironically funny... I don't know about the finance I hope its not the case I never heard any bank doing such research on a proprety to find that out, as for as the insurance I simply will remove flood damage from the policy.

/ building a barn first curve ball #58  
So, for survey work, figure approx $300/hour, for a 2 man survey team, plus office work on top of that; if the survey took 3 days, plus a day of geomatics work, your looking at a lot of money. Then, when presented to the City/County, if they have any comments that need addressed, that's additional hours you will need to pay for.

So, for survey work, figure approx $300/hour, for a 2 man survey team, plus office work on top of that; if the survey took 3 days, plus a day of geomatics work, your looking at a lot of money. Then, when presented to the City/County, if they have any comments that need addressed, that's additional hours you will need to pay for.
they said they wouldn't even come on site simply based it on the public topo map

For the question of using your data; from the surveyors perspective, I wouldn't put My license (Registered Professional Land Surveyor, edit: im not saying im licensed, but if i was, i would not want to sign your work) on the line, using your data; much like engineers prefer to 'concur' rather than 'approve' another's work. I would Assume, if you sign the waiver, you won't be able to finance or insure the barn?

From the owners prospective; the waiver doesn't change the risk, and you would eb Hard pressed to get the city/county/whoever, to pay anything towards flood damage.

One hold up could be, if this 100% personal use, or is the barn part of a farming or other work related LLC or an asset of one?

Thank you for this, and you where right, the bank was reluctant on saying whether or not they would loan me the money for a building built in a ''flood zone'' without flood insurance...

I played a old trick on them and it look like we have reach common ground... It dawn on me that the only one that knew the flood zone limits was me but my word is not empirical evidence as stated by them so I moved the propose location near the corner that was not within the limit, then they came back to me that I needed 12m ( 39.4ft) of minimum front yard and there is room to back it up without being in the flood zone so I gladly accepted so we ended up half way between my ideal location and the location that wouldn't be in the flood zone...