building a barn first curve ball

/ building a barn first curve ball #61  
Pay cash. And since you said it won't flood there, no need for flood insurance. Right?

/ building a barn first curve ball
Pay cash. And since you said it won't flood there, no need for flood insurance. Right?
yeah I don't know about you but I don't have 250k laying around ... my wife is boarding her horses right now so her board is basically paying for it but its not like we have that cash up front.

/ building a barn first curve ball #65  
My wifes old home was located in a FEMA maps flood plain, her mortgage holder was informed of that (not sure how or why) and they in turn informed her she had to get flood insurance on a home in a listed flood plain. Such insurance had a premium of about 25% of the homes valve per year.
That home was in about the same flood plain as your is. We ended up hiring an engineer to perform the survey and calculations to remove the home from the flood plain. This had to be done or they would have defaulted the mortgage and the house would have been just about unsalable.
The end result was that $5000 later the house was not in a flood plain and the counties map was amended and corrected.

My wifes old home was located in a FEMA maps flood plain, her mortgage holder was informed of that (not sure how or why) and they in turn informed her she had to get flood insurance on a home in a listed flood plain. Such insurance had a premium of about 25% of the homes valve per year.
That home was in about the same flood plain as your is. We ended up hiring an engineer to perform the survey and calculations to remove the home from the flood plain. This had to be done or they would have defaulted the mortgage and the house would have been just about unsalable.
The end result was that $5000 later the house was not in a flood plain and the counties map was amended and corrected.
yeah that's what I have to do but I assume it would cost me more then that … i am waiting on a quote these firm are a 3h drive away.

/ building a barn first curve ball #67  
A lot of locations classified and land adjacent to a stream as a flood zone. This way a home owner could purchase Flood Insurance.

"To qualify for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) coverage, it will depend on what zone and community you live in. If you don't live in an area that participates with the NFIP, you could still be eligible through a private carrier."

"Flooding. When water damage comes from flooding, it's typically not covered on a standard homeowners insurance policy. This type of damage is usually covered by flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program."

A lot of locations classified and land adjacent to a stream as a flood zone. This way a home owner could purchase Flood Insurance.

"To qualify for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) coverage, it will depend on what zone and community you live in. If you don't live in an area that participates with the NFIP, you could still be eligible through a private carrier."

"Flooding. When water damage comes from flooding, it's typically not covered on a standard homeowners insurance policy. This type of damage is usually covered by flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program."
I live in Canada it’s been established earlier in this tread, so don’t state US program none apply here.

Last edited:
   / building a barn first curve ball #69  
It's easy to forget that TBN folks are from all over the world. I am currently planning the squeezing of a small pole barn in between a flood plain, (2) septic fields, and property setbacks.
I am just about ready to submit a plan after jumping through some unexpected hoops for my jurisdiction.
Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
   / building a barn first curve ball #70  
Wow, a 250 thousand dollar barn ? What are your money making plans for it ?