Building a blade to move the earth

/ Building a blade to move the earth #1  

EMB5530

Gold Member
Tractor
5530 Mahindra 4x4
Just wondering if anyone out there has ever built a pusher blade for their tractor and how you may have gone about it.

I have a road grader bit that I was planning on cutting down to the width of the tractor and bolting on the blade and was thinking of taking 1/4 sheet metal and either cutting and rewelding back togther for the blade or ripping with an abrasive blade on a skill saw and then bending in a homemade break (not strong enough to bend without making cuts). I think that just taking several (4 different pieces 6"+6"+6+6) welded togther would be a good enough angle to curl up dirt and snow. The cutting relief cuts seems like it would be better b/c it would be more rounded but running a saw w/ an abrasive blade that long would use a lot of blade and would be hard to keep an even depth. Another option I was pondering was using a 30" casing pipe that is about 3/8 thick but I only have about 4' of it so I would have to cut it in half and then butt it togther and weld it but I dont know if the radius would be too tight.

I dunno with limited tools its a lot of work to fab the blade, but the brackets are no prob.
I just want a good solid blade for the front of a 50 horse 4x4 tractor.
I plan on making a scarifier and pushing around a good ammount of dirt.
Maybe I should just buy a blade and fab the brackets to a pre built one

How bout some opinions/Ideas

Thanks for the input:eek:

/ Building a blade to move the earth #2  
Moving something as large as the earth might be hard LOL:laughing::laughing:. Just kidding. Never thought of doing that myself. They make 4 in 1 blades that are a mix between a bucket and a dozer blade.

/ Building a blade to move the earth #3  
Archimedes said:
Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I will move the earth.

He's in good company.

/ Building a blade to move the earth
I just have a watch guy to let me know when safety guy is round the corner:thumbsup:

/ Building a blade to move the earth #7  
If your are thinking about putting it on your FEL, I would worry about bending the FEL frame of the FEL.

/ Building a blade to move the earth #8  
50hp 4x4 tractor says nothing. whats the weight of the unit ? A 5000 pound kubota ? or 8000+ pound, like our 5245 ?

Dont mess with grinding slots and hammering, just have a shop make it on a brake press. Just ask them for an x by x sheet, with an x radius, brake pressed in facet bends. Brake presses run for 50-60 dollars an hour, and it might be just 30 minutes of work (15 for putting the right dies on the machine, 15 for the actual dozen of small bends)

Then get a massive C-channel to weld on the back of it. gusset the cutting edge to this C-beam. Heavy angle iron (i used 8x8x 5/8") will work too.

Make sure you support it all the way back to the rear axle, just like a front loader.

/ Building a blade to move the earth
It will be installed on a 5530 mahindra aprox 6500#
And the Fel will be remove for the reason of bending frame
and yea I was plannin on supporting horizontally w/ 2" pipe or c channel
and then running horizontal 2"x1/4" flat bar between horz.
also thanks for the ideas.
keep um coming

Intelligence by input:thumbsup:

/ Building a blade to move the earth #10  
Here's one from the Yahoo HomeBuiltEquipmentForTractors group

Attachments

• grader blade.pdf
    143 KB · Views: 562