Building a bridge

/ Building a bridge #12  
If you do decide to use the poles, I think with the weight you are talking you will need more than just 2 "beams".

I did something similar, but only crossing a 4' creek thats only 2' deep. Made a raft out of them so to speak. That "might" be strong enough for your needs. At ~9" average diameter, Take about 15 of them and lay them all down like a raft. Then the decking boards will tie them all together.

/ Building a bridge #13  
I have also seen old truck frames used as bridges. Usually you can get them at truck wreckers for the price of scrap steel. How wide a bridge do you need?

/ Building a bridge #14  
I have also seen old semi truck frames used as bridges. Usually you can get them at truck wreckers for the price of scrap steel. How wide a bridge do you need?

/ Building a bridge #15  
How many poles can you get? :)

august.jpg log_railway_bridge_01.jpg

Bruce

/ Building a bridge #16  
We have a bridge of about the same span. It is built over two 14" x 7" steel I beams roughly 3/8" thick.

I asked the owner what the weight rating was, and he indicated that a logging truck delivering eight cords of wood had no problems...
image-L.jpg

/ Building a bridge #17  
   / Building a bridge #18  
I knew a guy who purchased a damaged flatbed trailer at an auction and used it for a bridge on his property.

^
this

If you want something that will handle the weight and not cost you tons of $ and days of labor, go with a trailer frame. And Egon is right it must be on concrete footings if you are going to do it right. You could just set it on the ground, but you are then susceptible to flood damage. With footings you can get above the high water mark. Around here I can buy 2x2x6 concrete retaining wall blocks...$75 delivered...you would need 4.

/ Building a bridge #19  
^
. Around here I can buy 2x2x6 concrete retaining wall blocks...$75 delivered...you would need 4.

Thats a heck of a price. 2x2x6 is almost a full yard of concrete. I cannot even buy the concrete for that, let alone form it, and deliver it? How are they making money?

/ Building a bridge #20  
Thats a heck of a price. 2x2x6 is almost a full yard of concrete. I cannot even buy the concrete for that, let alone form it, and deliver it? How are they making money?

I have no idea, but I am going to buy a load and get them delivered before they change their mind:laughing: