building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #11  
So nest time you butcher some hogs try this. Hang one hog up and use a small hand held torch to blister the skin starting at the top of the hog. You don't need to blister the whole hog at once. As soon as the skin is blistered start scraping. If you missed an area just use the torch on that area. Once you are done just rinse the hog off with water.

We used to heat a trough of water but once we started with the propane torch the water trough got thrown away.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #12  
I sell some products to a company in Wisconsin that makes the "Belchfire" Google it and you can see their components and maybe get some ideas.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel
So nest time you butcher some hogs try this. Hang one hog up and use a small hand held torch to blister the skin starting at the top of the hog. You don't need to blister the whole hog at once. As soon as the skin is blistered start scraping. If you missed an area just use the torch on that area. Once you are done just rinse the hog off with water.

We used to heat a trough of water but once we started with the propane torch the water trough got thrown away.

Dont know I could stand the smell of burning hair with the torch method. Scalding only takes about 3 or 4 minutes and scraping another 10min. If your not waiting on water to heat, you can process several hogs in a day. Killed 4 last sat., 5 the sat. before that, and had them all cut up by about 2 pm.

I checked out the Belchfire burners, a little pricey.

Building this thing on a no money budget just trying to use what we have laying around. If I have to start buying parts, I'll just but one, or maybe two, of the banjo burners and mount it under the tank. Amazon.com : Bayou Classic BG14 Banjo Burner 1 inch diameter : Grill Parts : Garden & Outdoor.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #14  
If your going to go with banjo burners then why not head to the dump and cannibalize the burners off of some hot water heaters? Around here the water tanks always rust out long before the burners. Seems to me a couple of burners off of a gas furnace would put more heat in the right spot than a round burner.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #15  
Just curious and slightly off topic but how big are the hogs and are you processing them to cook them whole at some point?

Kevin

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #16  
First of all you need a high pressure regulator. Standard BBQ grills all use low pressure regulators.

Just curious and slightly off topic but how big are the hogs and are you processing them to cook them whole at some point?

Kevin
Hogs are various sizes, killed a couple 750-850lbs and a few in the 400lb range, today a couple of 300 lb'ders, but most in the 200lb range. Making sausage out of the shoulders, curing the ham and middlins. We did 600lbs of sausage a couple weeks ago. I think we are done with the killing for this year, unless someone comes up wanting one killed.

First of all you need a high pressure regulator. Standard BBQ grills all use low pressure regulators.

Been trying to use a fixed 10psi regulator, but thinking about trying and old acetylene regulator so I can adjust pressure. Once I figure out what kind of pressure I need, I would buy one of the adjustable propane regulators. With the flame blowing out I am thinking 10psi is to much, but I have a fixed 5lb turkey fryer regulator I am going to try. To cold to do much in the shop right now but when it warms back up, I'll go back to my testing.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #19  
I had brought up Moonshiners previously, as a joke.. BUT>
I noticed the other day that.. they're all using "red" regulators..??
I have NO IDEA if they are color coded for pressure.. I just thought I'd throw that out there..

There is a color code for propane regulators, red is for high pressure. Not sure what is exactly considered high pressure. BBQ grills use a 6ounce regulator. I have a 5lb regulator and it is red, so somewhere between 6 ounces and 5 lbs is where the high pressure starts.
I plan on drilling a lot more holes in my pipe. Looking at Lighting a Pipe Burner - YouTube, I counted the holes they have in their 2ft burner and there are 200 holes spaced 1/4in apart in two rows. They are using a adjustable 20lb regulator with a #61 drilled orifice. I have 100 holes total, in my 4ft burner drilled 1 inch apart in two rows. With the 10lb regualtor it will blow itself out. I am thinking/guessing that If I double the holes I might be able to stop the blowing out and get a tall flame. Its only time and the goal is to not spend any money on this thing.