Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #151  
Thanks very much for posting these, we purchased our retirement place in far W NY and that home has the same system installed, great to see how it goes together.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #152  
Regular basement with rough-in plumping, french door and 5 windows (2 double and a single) would have been about $25k. This was about $29k. So $4k premium, but well worth it I think, since the basement walls are fully insulated and ready to be finished later, should one so choose. Also a lot less mess on site, not to mention much faster.

Agreed. Thanks for the $ numbers.

There are conduits built into the walls too for wiring, including around corners.

Happen to get a picture of that?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #153  
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #154  
pclausen, thanks for your response. that $4k premium (16%) also includes an insulated foundation, so the difference between 'standard' constuction and the superior wall installations would shrink if you insulated the 'standard' foundation to be the same as superior walls. this is great info and applicable to a lot of people who will be building a home in the next few years. like me :thumbsup: although i will have to see how a deeper frost line and especially expansive soils affect a superior walls installation.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #155  
Dhagood:

I also wonder how the Superior Walls system works in the expansive soils that you and I have to deal with. I checked their website and Colorado wasn't listed unfortunately. Maybe there are similar systems from other companies that do business in Colorado.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #156  
Dhagood:

I also wonder how the Superior Walls system works in the expansive soils that you and I have to deal with. I checked their website and Colorado wasn't listed unfortunately. Maybe there are similar systems from other companies that do business in Colorado.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #157  
This is an interesting thread in that I had never seen pictures of a basement done like that. I knew they existed and knew they were probably better insulated but I was not aware a basement could be done this way. We built our house in 2002 and it is typical 8" concrete walls with sill plates on top and then the house. I don't know any better but it works for Ohio.

It's nice to follow this thread and it looks like they are off to a good start.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
I don't have any closeups of the conduit channels, but I'll try to take some today. It's raining/snowing right now, but hopefully it will clear up.

I also didn't show the details of all the hooks along the lower perimeter that is tied into the metal mesh for pouring the floors. I'll see about taking some pics of that detail as well, and of course of the poor itself, scheduled for Friday, weather permitting.

Superior Walls are up and down the East Coast (Florida up to New York I believe). I don't know if this construction method will work further West, but with taller (deeper?) walls, I don't see why not. These walls are 9' tall, btw. Superior Walls started out in 1980 and have been growing ever since.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #159  
Pete, is the garage is going to be built with a crawlspace/void beneath? Will you have access to that area? I'm surprised to see that the garage is not being built on grade. What type of floor will it be? If I've missed this discussion, just point me in the right direction please.

I love the way this all came together. The fact that it all went so smoothly has to give you a lot of confidence. These people know planning, manufacturing, and site preparation. I'm really impressed and somewhat jealous.;)

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Good observation Jim. A *lot* of gravel will need to be back filled into the garage before the floor is poured. The issue was that once all the loose top soil was removed, it took it down that far. Also, the area in front of the garage will need to be built back up to be level with the beginning of the driveway, which is just about flush with the garage door threshold. There will be a broom swept concrete pad in front of the garage, with a slight down angle.