Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,362  
You need to keep your lint screen/filter in the dryer clean.

Fabric softner sheets will clog a dryer screen and it will look clean. periodically I take a scrub brush and brush the dryer screen. I've taken a screen, pulled the lint off so it looked clean, and ran water on it, and it wouldn't even pass water.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,363  
Jack over ice with a splash of diet dr. pepper
I call it nectar of the gods

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,364  
For anyone experiencing a soft clog, there's nothing that works quite as nice as one of these rubber bladder clog busters. Hose pressure is usually enough to blast out the clog. However, if you have a vent between your bladder and the clog, you will get water shooting out onto your roof, and it will drain back through your opening when you pull the bladder out. It's great for trap clogs and they make big ones for soft clogs in sewer lines too. Just insert into the cleanout, pressurize with a water hose, and wait for the clog to blow out.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#2,365  
Mom got the drainage issue in front of the driveway fixed.

In this shot you can also see that the house number has been scribed/painted into one of the rocks inserted in the left column

day215-1.jpg

A couple of different angles showing the 2 pipes used.

day215-2.jpg

day215-3.jpg

day215-4.jpg

Here's where it runs off down to catch the ravine

day215-5.jpg

day215-6.jpg

Similar thing was done inside the gate on a smaller scale where the water was coming across the driveway.

day215-7.jpg

day215-8.jpg

Of course he hit the phone line being it was only a few inches under the surface despite it being marked. I hope this is a temporary patch job as I'm pretty sure that won't last long underground.

day215-9.jpg

A lot of trees are about to be planted once we validate that the drainage issues have been resolved. I think that will take care of the columns looking so "lonely".

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,366  
That repair will never last. If he wont fix it, Menards sells repair kits, that are water tight.

Dave

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,367  
You didn't have to put a culvert under the driveway at the ditch at the start of construction? Our town requires it, even if there is no real reason for it always. My driveway is almost flat at the ditch, but I still think it is a good idea to prevent problems down the road. So to speak... Now the other culverts are the kid of thing you learn you need with time, as you have.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,368  
Oh, cheese and rice. I know from talking with Peter that it is an interference engine - which is really bad. The odd part, to me at least, is that it is actually chain driven which you would think would last much longer than a belt. I know that typically chain driven cam engines these days last at least 200K miles.

It is truly a pisser to lose an engine and a tranny within 10K miles. What did you replace it with?
-Stu

I had it happen with my last POS GM product. Lost the engine at 30,000 miles then the transfer case 2,000 miles later. No more GM's for me and with the Bailout that sealed their fate with me and my family.

Chris

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,369  
On that repair, make friends with a local phone guy. The have a 8" long heat shrink tube with a goo in it that oozes out and will seal just as good as the original sheeting. Its basically a heat active glue.

Chris

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#2,370  
Been a long time since I updated this thread, so I figured it was time. Mom has been busy landscaping, so here are some shots from this past weekend.

day200-1.jpg

day200-2.jpg

day200-3.jpg

day200-4.jpg

day200-5.jpg

day200-6.jpg

day200-7.jpg

day200-8.jpg

day200-9.jpg

day200-10.jpg

day200-11.jpg

day200-12.jpg

day200-13.jpg

day200-14.jpg

day200-15.jpg

day200-16.jpg

day200-17.jpg

day200-19.jpg

day200-20.jpg

Yes, I have started logging again. It seems to be a never ending endeavor.

day200-21.jpg

I have noticed that the baseboard on the outside is starting to pull away from the wall just below where the hardy plank stops. Will need to do something about that. Had a falling out with the builder of sorts, so we will likely get someone else in to fix the remaining mistakes, and there are many.

day200-22.jpg