Building my bridge crane

/ Building my bridge crane #21  
I agree with the first half of your statement. The weld is correct in this situation. I have used similar welded splices in the past

Bolted and welded connection are useful in different situations. Neither connection is better than the other for all situations.
Bolted connections are a common way to repair cracks in bridge beams.
I have seen many cracked welds in bridges, the only bolted connections that I have seen cracked also had large amounts of section loss from rust.
Surely you can design a welded connection to be more failure prone than a bolted. But that isnt the object is it. With welding only possible at edges - and cracks naturally initiating at edges - its a big mistake to ignore the need to blend stiffness gracefully.

/ Building my bridge crane #22  
Talk about points on a fish plate. Note, there are no vertical welds on the points? Note, how the welds are curled out? All to cut down on stress risers.

Attachments

• Fish plate tail out.jpg
    Fish plate tail out.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 571
   / Building my bridge crane #23  
Talk about points on a fish plate. Note, there are no vertical welds on the points? Note, how the welds are curled out? All to cut down on stress risers.
Cool! I like those "bolting" welds too.

,,, Do you also peen with a needle scaler?

/ Building my bridge crane #25  
That is gonna be one **** of a shop LD1. What uses are you planning on doing in there.

Yes! Exactly what I want to know. He looks to be doing a good job and the project is something similar to what I hope to do in a few years for my 25' x 50' shop.

/ Building my bridge crane #26  
WRONG! ... The tapered ends act to blend the stiffness from the beam into the stiffer area of the patch. Also the taper away from the edges of the flange inhibit a tear/crack beginning at the edge of the flange.
Exactly... abrupt stiffness changes are stress risers. That said, we aren't building an airplane where the margins of safety are near zero so it is probably a moot point. I doubt LD is going to load this thing anywhere near ultimate or cycle it such that fatigue becomes an issue. But good design is always appreciated by those who understand why.

/ Building my bridge crane #27  
Exactly... abrupt stiffness changes are stress risers. That said, we aren't building an airplane where the margins of safety are near zero so it is probably a moot point. I doubt LD is going to load this thing anywhere near ultimate or cycle it such that fatigue becomes an issue. But good design is always appreciated by those who understand why.
Uh-huh. Its sure to be strong enuf for the cycles it will see. "Ultimate" though is a neat concept if you dont fixate on it breaking, but instead sustaining damage at each stress riser when it is loaded. That small portion of material has seen its ultimate and undergone plastic strain. The beam is now bent a tiny bit, facilitated by the stress riser at way under its ultimate strength. That micro damage is the basis of fatigue.

/ Building my bridge crane
Got the rail beams welded on. Still need to do the knee braces yet. Got the main beam set and uprighted. Todays project is going to be lifting one side at a time and rolling the end trucks under the beam. I think I gotta raise the lights a tad too. Looks like they are about 1" too low once the beam is on the truck. Slight mis-calculation:mur: But It was hard to measure things precisely, And I knew wanted the beam as high as I could get it, knowing I can shorten the cables on the lights in just a few minutes.

And the darn backhoe bucket.....its about 1" out of level over its 6' width, which translates into alot more over a 38' beam

IMG_20151123_181139926.jpgIMG_20151123_181143329.jpgIMG_20151123_183859642.jpg

/ Building my bridge crane #29  
Oh I see now how your truck beams are going to work:cool2:. Your not going with under the rails truck beams. I wish I had done that, but I was to cheap to rent a fork lift:eek:.
Are you going to power your span beam? So you don't have to pull it by hand?

/ Building my bridge crane
Oh I see now how your truck beams are going to work:cool2:. Your not going with under the rails truck beams. I wish I had done that, but I was to cheap to rent a fork lift:eek:.
Are you going to power your span beam? So you don't have to pull it by hand?

Yea, Top runners. I thought you got that. I said it a few times, and one of the reasons why I cannot tie the rail beams together like yours are with pipe.

The trucks each have one wheel with the gear so I can add power later. For the time being, the just gonna be pulled by hand. But eventually I will at least tie the geared wheels together and have a chain pulley and chain. So I can move the beam the say way a manual chain hoist works.