building our retirement cabin

/ building our retirement cabin #12  
Sounds like a fun project, I cant wait to see your sawmill in action.

Dave

/ building our retirement cabin
You can see the mill the first time we used it on youtube burgmill first time. July its been raining none stop for 2 months ,flooding all over the province and this is the time we are trying to build, I built a post hole auger hydraulic driven with a 10" auger bit. I used a similar design as wheatheart auger and borrowed an auger to fit from a friend. We drilled 19 holes 8' and put in cement tubes. I then acquired a frontend loader mounted cement mixer that could mix a bag of cement at a time, also hyd driven. I had to run hyd lines to the front of the tractor to run the auger and the mixer. Both worked well but the job was a nightmare as it simply would not quit raining. Also to compound this we were trying to get our second daughters wedding prepared for, a long month. drilling pile holes.pngcement mixing cabin.pngcement mixing2.png

The wedding is over,great time we have a new son in law. the rain keeps on and we are getting tired of playing in the mud. We are learning to use the mill but a nightmare to work in the mud. We got the cement poured and we are putting up the base logs and floor stringers. This is all we will accomplice for this year because of other commitments . I decided to run in civil politics and got elected as an RM councellor and do to the flooding at home this kept me busy for the rest of fall.frame of cabin 0.pngframe of cabin 1 (2).pngframe of cabin 2.pngframe of cabin 3.pngframe of cabin 4.pngframe 5 of cabin.png2010_0801logmilll0004.jpg2010_0801logmilll0005.jpg

/ building our retirement cabin #16  
I like the way you are doing the floor beams and scribe-ing them in with a chainsaw?...good work!

It's hard to find the crown on two sided logs, so you might consider sawing all for slabs off.

/ building our retirement cabin #17  
Looks like a fun project. I have a question, why build with no foundation? It would be a much better finished product with some protection from the critters, moisture and elements.
Next time you are pouring Sona tubes, take a plastic big foot of the appropriate size and use it like a funnel.

We decided not to use a foundation because of the excess moisture. we plan to frame it after and close it in with panels that we can open to allow air to move under it.

Spring 2011 is finally here and we got started again after 7 months of brutal winter. we had lots of help from friends and family to peel logs and we are milling them as they are peeling. we started the build and found out this was far more difficult than we thought.camp david 011.jpgcamp david 013.jpgcamp david 014.jpgcamp david 015.jpg

/ building our retirement cabin #20  
I will be watching this also,love these kind of projects! LUTT