building our retirement cabin

/ building our retirement cabin #61  
What a project!
When is the house warming? I'll bring hot dogs. :)

/ building our retirement cabin #62  
Looks great, it's really coming together.

/ building our retirement cabin #63  
Great project. I am very impressed!:applause:

/ building our retirement cabin
We are currently considering milling our own boards for the ceiling. We are looking at purchasing a thickness planer, delta rc33 22650 for about 500 dollars. Is this a good price? the machine looks like new condition with an extra set of blades. Looks pretty heavy. Also what is the best way to make tongue and groove boards, router or table saw?

/ building our retirement cabin #65  
To make tongue & groove, I'd first use a table saw to get a nice straight edge and then us a table mounted router for the T&G. I used to go to a used lumber yard where they had their own moldings machine. They had a machine that could custom make moldings out of scrap wood. It was a cross between a surfacer/planer, joiner, and table router. I loved watching them make moldings on that machine.

/ building our retirement cabin #66  
Triangle...this look familiar?

PlaningCherry003.jpg

I paid exactly $500 for it. It works great but you will need a sawdust collector or it will clog quickly...also see if it had the blade setter with it. Mine had two set of blades but no setter. Luckily I have not had to change them yet but I am still hunting a setter.

Yes , the same machine, How deep can it cut on say a 10 inch wide spruce board, I figure I have about 1200 sq ft of boards to plane for the roof boards and another 200ft for the loft walls and I wonder how much can one do in a day if everything is working right, I know Nothing about this job it will be a learning curve for sure. also this collector how much do they cost used and how big should they be? By the way great pictures of the cabin, There are people who build and there are people who build well,you would most definately be in the second catagory.Love the balcony railing very oridginal.

Motorseven, When I first clicked on you picture of the planer somehow I opened your entire album. Amazing pictures and I wanted to show my wife the pictures of your balcony railing and now I cannot get back there, Maybe I was not supposed to open it but if I was how do I open it again?

/ building our retirement cabin #69  
You can only plane down a little (1/16-1/32 if I remember right') at time. If you take too big a bite the board won't fit in the chute. So you will have to make multiple passes lowering the cutters one half a turn on the handle each time. And if your boards are random thicknesses you will have to make more passes on the thicker ones. There is a scale on the right side, write down the final number of make a mark with tape on the scale where your final pass will be, that way it can be repeated. 10' wide boards are no problem...I think this planer handles 13" and it's powerful enough to do it without slowing down.

This oughta get you back in but I warn you there is 977 pic's of the house build in there:laughing:
Log House Photos by motorseven | Photobucket

Thank for the info and the picture site, very impressive to say the least. I will not have the planer for a week as it is long way away. I have a convention that week which takes me close to where it is and I will pick it up then. I was considering using a large shop vac for the dust collector do you think it would work?