Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( This is just getting too funny.
First of all, alge infestation of diesel fuel rarely occurrs unless you are storing around salt water, like the ocean. It doesn't come into play for tanks located more than 50 miles from the ocean.
Secondly, Diesel does loose Cetane rating over time in storage. It also looses lubricity because the suspended parafin wax falls to the bottom of the tank.)</font>

First off, let me state that "algae" not "alge" will grow in diesel tanks anywhere not just near the ocean, or in New York State for that matter. My partner in our forage operation is also a ASC Certified Diesel Mechanic and works on class 8 diesels everyday. He states that "algae is a condition that forms from an interaction between moisture present in the fuel and storage tank and organisms present in the fuel".

As far as diesel loosing it's Cetane rating, I will agree with that, but the time element is much greater than with gasoline and octane ratings. The diesel that you purchase at the pump has probably been "sitting around" for a while anyhow. Don't think for a minute that it came from the well head yesterday. As far as "drop out" of parraffin, usually only extremely cold temperatures will cause separation, not storage and the addition of suspension additives virtually eliminates that problem "fuel additives". He also told me that a few day's ago he worked on a Freightliner chassised motor home that the fuel system was not maintained properly and that "the fuel system, especially the filter and pre-filter was loaded with slime (algae) and had to be towed into the shop". He told the owner that "If you had maintained the fuel system, changed the filters and added a fuel conditioner before letting the motorhome sit for long periods, the slime would not occur".

As far as theft, people will pilfer about anything if that is their inclination. It's true all skid tanks have either 21/2" or 11/2" threaded openings, one for the level gage and one for the pump mount. I for one would not even think about stealing fuel from someone else. You shouldn't either, but then I'm not you.

All I was doing was offering an alternative to going to the gas station for 5 gallons of diesel each time you need to run your machine. It is much easier to fill a tractor with a nozzle than with a can and bulk filling allows you to buy at a reduced price and not be victimized at the pump. I don't really want to go into a lengthy discorse about the pro's and con's of bulk fueling as it is not germaine to our operation.

Again, I have enclosed a picture of my tank.

The 12 volt transfer pump works best for me but that's personal preference.

Daryl
Forage Services L.P.

Attachments

• 243153-tank.jpg
    243153-tank.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 332
   / Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Make sure you check that the installation of this extra tank is legal. what if that tank leaks out on the ground. the E.P.A. would have a field day with you and your wallet for clean up costs and fines if tank was not legally permitted. check you laws before installing. )</font>

Our oil company installed the tank, 300 gallons, and made no mention of any problems with the law. Our home heating tank is actually bigger than this, also installed by the same folks, and seems typical for this area.

As for the locks, etc., yeah, people who really want something will manage to get it.. but I figure this will at least slow them down enough to possibly consider hitting someone else's tank.

To quote Robert Heinlein, "These is no security this side of the grave." /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But it can't hurt to make it more difficult for the "bad guys", right?

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Our oil company installed the tank, 300 gallons, and made no mention of any problems with the law. Our home heating tank is actually bigger than this, also installed by the same folks, and seems typical for this area.

As for the locks, etc., yeah, people who really want something will manage to get it.. but I figure this will at least slow them down enough to possibly consider hitting someone else's tank. </font><font color="blue" class="small">(

<font color="black"> </font> It sure is easier to fill equipment with a nozzle than a can. Besides, you don't have the cans sitting around in the garage. Like I said previously, bulk tanks are not for everyone, especially if you live in a HIGH CRIME area. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Daryl
Forage Services L.P. <font color="black"> </font>

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #14  
Is your partner's name Daryl too, and do you live in Vermont?
Spelling is the bastian of those who cannot handle original thought.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is your partner's name Daryl too, and do you live in Vermont?
Spelling is the bastian of those who cannot handle original thought.
)</font>

No its not "Daryl and my other brother Daryl". His name is Gomer /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Daryl
Forage Services L.P.

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #16  
Daryl,

Being in the heating and air conditioning business and removing about 200 of them tanks over the years I have always seen them up about 10 feet off the ground. But your right you would need a pump if on the ground.

murph

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #17  
[quote
No its not "Daryl and my other brother Daryl". His name is Gomer /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Daryl
Forage Services L.P. )</font>

LOL.

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #19  
I agree Trev...the crooks might take it...but make it as hard for them to get as you can....

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #20  
If you heat with oil, stick a barell pump in your tank, just don't put in your mercedes or 40K SUV. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif