Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #21  
Just got my NH TC18, didn't want to mess up the nice, shiny hood with spills from a can, didn't want to run to town every time I need to fill a 5 gallon can, and didn't want to lift 40 pounds high enough to fill. I looked at electric pumps but the cheapest rig I found (Harbor freight) was about $300. I also considered a hand-cranked rotary pump, but that would be difficult for one person to crank and fill. I decided to go with a gravity system.

So, I stopped at my local oil distributor, picked up a new 55 gallon drum ($20, could have had a used one for free), filter housing and filter, 3/4" x 14' hose, hose swivel and farm nozzle. Stopped at the plumbing supply store and picked up some 3/4" nipples, 3/4" lever-handle ball valves, some reducing bushings to get from 2" down to 3/4", and some 3/4" street els.

I tapped out of the 3/4" drum opening, through a ball valve, through the filter, then on to the hose, swivel and nozzle. On the 2" hole, I installed the bushings, then angled a 3/4" street el up, used a 6" nipple to get it above the tank, and installed the other ball valve as a vent. I finished the vent off with a couple of more elbows so the end is pointing down and won't collect any water.

I built a 5' high stand from cement blocks. Right now, the temporary "cradle" is just 4 blocks separated about 16", but when I do a permanent stand, I'll use a wooden cradle. After installing the plumbing, we laid the drum on it's side, rolled it into the FEL, raised it to the top of the stand, and rolled it back out into position.

When it's empty, I'll have to lift it off, disconnect the plumbing, lift it into the pickup and take it back to the oil distributor for refill. He delivers, but not less than 300 gallons without a delivery charge.

When I build the permanent stand, I'll make a wooden cradle that will be strapped to the drum. It will have slots for pallet forks. I'll be able to lift the drum off with pallet forks, set it in the truck and stand it up, then reverse the process when it get it home again. Depending on how often I have to have it filled, I may install pipe unions to make the removal and installation of the plumbing a little easier.

I could have ordered all the parts over the 'net cheaper, but I'm just moving to the town and want to do as much business locally as possible, so I bought all the parts except the fittings from the oil distributor at slightly inflated prices. My total investment was about $140. Diesel is retailing at around $1.90/gal here; I paid $1.40 for offroad diesel. I had to fill out some paperwork to qualify.

I've only had the rig 3 days and have already used half of the drum. I filled my tractor twice. I've contracted a land clearing guy to do rough clearing, and we filled his Cat 416 once after his portable rig ran out. We started 5 big burn piles of brush, and used all his diesel and some of mine to start the fires. I don't expect to use it as fast in the future.

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #22  
<font color="blue">…my NH TC18… a new 55 gallon drum… I don't expect to use it as fast in the future…</font>

Hi Don,

With your fuel miser workhorse… I’ll take an educated guess and say you’ll fill up your drum about once every 14-18 months… /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #23  
Can you give me a guess on how many hours that is? We put 15 hours on it the first 1-1/2 days I had it. I filled it when I got it, but didn't get a full fill (it was dark), and had to fill it again already. I have a lot of work to do in the next year.

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #24  
I am a bit late on this discussion but I think we can all agree than the 5 gallon can approach stinks for larger tractors. I need four 5 gallon cans to fill this machine up, not to mention having to lift them up high to pour in the fuel. The fill spout is about sholder high.

So I considered a bulk tank till I saw the price. Then I though about a pickup truck tank, even worse. So being cheap I built my own, see attached.
I debated about gravity feed versus pumping and in the end decided that pumping was better since I get about three fill ups and then its off for more diesel. Thats a lot of up and down for a gravity feed system.

The guts of it is a 55 gallon plastic drum that cost $5.
Pump plus filter and some hardware. Hand pump and hose.
A vented fill cap plus a butress to NPT adapter tops it off. I guess about $50 to $100 in the whole setup. If you loose the filter and fill cap it would be much cheaper.

I buy off road only with this tank

Fred

Attachments

• 258093-gas can.jpg
    258093-gas can.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 559
   / Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #25  
Of course its really designed for a Kubota /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred

Attachments

• 258094-Label.jpg
    258094-Label.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 435
   / Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #26  
<font color="blue">… Can you give me a guess on how many hours that is?...</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Hi Don,

I wish I saw your reply about 3 weeks ago, when I had it fresh in my memory… /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyhow… by reverse engineering my numbers… I’m guessing ~~ upwards of 150 hours @ 18 months or about .36 gal/hr fuel usage (average overall) for your TC18… /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #27  
<font color="blue"> Our oil company installed the tank, 300 gallons, and made no mention of any problems with the law. Our home heating tank is actually bigger than this, also installed by the same folks, and seems typical for this area </font>
Maybe I'm missing something Trev - you use home heating oil AND you put in an additional tank for your tractor? Why can't you just pump out of your home heating oil tank? It's the same stuff (although not as convenient if it's in your basement)

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #28  
Hi Gerard,

I added the extra tank a bunch of reasons..

1) You can never have too much fuel oil stored during an extended power outage. The tractor is burning it, the furnace is burning it.. and it only goes so far. After the close to a week of no power we recently went through, I felt a lot more comfortable knowing I had all the fuel I needed.. especially since local gas stations had no power either and hence couldn't supply any fuel.

2) I was heartily sick of making runs to pick up 5 gallon cans of diesel. Now I just pull up next to my new tank and pump it in. No more standing on the front wheel with one foot while trying not to spill the stuff all over the place. No more reeking of diesel after fueling up.

It might be overkill.. I dunno.. but it's convenient and easy and gives some added peace of mind.

Also, the two tanks are on opposite sides of a 2.5 acre lot.. and I didn't want to power-down the generator twice a day to re-fuel the tractor. Once you get the PTO generator in the right spot to reach your connections, and you make sure the PTO shaft is perfectly straight to avoid unwanted vibration, you really don't want to move it more than you have to. Easier just to let the tractor sit in the garage and pump out those electrons continuously.

Bob /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #29  
Just one little thing, don't get caught running down the road with that barrel full of diesel without proper labeling, or the DOT Gestapo will do a number on your wallet.
An excellent truck mounted tank can easily be made from a truck step tank, and those can be had relatively cheap from truck wreckers. Steel tanks have virtually no sale value to wreckers because they weigh more than aluminum, and weight coults in the trucking business. Get one that you can unbolt the gague plate from, weld a 2" coupling to the gague plate, and install a pump. The tank is even legal for over the road fuel hauling.
Cauthin, if you are hauling off road fuel in a diesel pickup, be prepared for a wait while they sample the truck fuel tank for untaxed fuel use.

/ Bulk Fuel Tank for the Small Tractor Owner #30  
Yes. I see what you mean.

I guess to be legal it would need a diesel sticker at least.
I assume there is some minimum amount before this becomes an issue?
And yes I haul this in a diesel pickup. It would pass any test for off road so I am not concerned.

I think this is less of a problem in my area than in others since many diesel trucks and farm trucks are common around here. The other day I passed a guy pulling a fert hopper down the street with his tractor!

"diesel fuel? what diesel fuel..... I just really like soy sauce."

Fred