Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern!

/ Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern! #21  
I'm thinking round bales ... twine tied. Is it an area where someone may have been feeding livestock and not removing the twine? When I bought this place 8 years ago the old boy had been feeding round bales in a lot and never removed the twine ... I still find them in that area.

A round baler has continuos twine when the baler starts the tie cycle ... that could explain the long pieces.

/ Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern! #23  
Sounds like a landscape rake could do the trick if you have more left...

Aaron Z

/ Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern! #24  
   / Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern!
I'm thinking round bales ... twine tied. Is it an area where someone may have been feeding livestock and not removing the twine? When I bought this place 8 years ago the old boy had been feeding round bales in a lot and never removed the twine ... I still find them in that area.

A round baler has continuos twine when the baler starts the tie cycle ... that could explain the long pieces.

This sounds the most plausible to me. I'm hoping that we have fixed the problem; I'll be out there working on it this weekend, cleaning up / leveling / getting rid of Johnson grass. I find it odd that it has been in this condition for what appears to be at least a few years, when it took us less than a week altogether to clean it up. People can be funny at times :confused2:

/ Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern! #27  
I bought a "lazy farmers" farm. You would be surprised how long it takes to fix all the problems. Ruts from logging, steel posts in the the middle of the field, even a whole cedar log right in the middle of grown up pasture. The plastic baling twine will take a century to get rid of!

I agree it sounds like round bales, although the 1" grid is still baffling. I think I doubled the size of my fields just lambing and cleaning up the edges. Have fun!

/ Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern!
We must be neighbors - our back fence line is the county line between Lawrence and Giles counties.

/ Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern! #29  
I ran into the twine problem a few days ago in an area I had set up for one of my mini-horses to graze while I worked on his pasture. It sounds like a similiar problem with what looked like red "shoots" interspersed throughout a 20X20 area. I've owned this for 5 years, and it was the first time I noticed it. I moved the temp panels and just started pulling it up. I have a Ratch rake, but the grass looks good in the area, so I didn't want to tear it up any worse than I had to.

From some of the other items I have found here, I'm sure it was a a small area the former owner set up using short metal posts (almost like rebar) and some type of electrical wired fence ( my mower used to "find" that all the time). If that's the case, I vote for hay bales put down still wrapped.

/ Buried baling twine... In a grid pattern! #30  
Sounds like it could be an erosion control mat placed down prior to planting to hold the grass.