Bush Hog advice

/ Bush Hog advice #41  
JD doesn't make bush hogs, but they do make rotary cutters, a.k.a. rough cutters or brush hogs

Bush Hog is a company. Bush Hog does make brush hogs, but they also make many other implements. Bush Hogs are not manufactured by anyone except Bush Hog.

I disagree with the salesman. A 3ph rotary cutter is preferable to me for the height control adjustments I need to constantly make on uneven terrain. There are also times when you can only cut certain areas by backing into them. You cannot do that with a towed unit like you can with a 3ph unit. When cutting in a creek bed, I can lift the brush hog into the air, back into position, then lower it into the depression, lift it, move, then do the next section. You could never do that with a towed unit.

A lot of salesmen are just that: men whose job it is to sell you something. There are plenty of them who have never really spent hours on hours actually operating all these implements on all the various tractors out in a real field.

Actually, to some degree, you can. You can get hydraulic tail wheels which allow some lifting of the deck to go over some obstacles. Not as much as a 3pt lift, but better than nothing at all.

/ Bush Hog advice
Rod,
Where are you? I've got property with drumlins, too, and I know exactly what you're talking about with the rocks. Seems like every spring there is a new crop of rocks that have popped out of the ground.
We're in the Finger Lakes area of NY state - God's Country, for sure.

Dave

/ Bush Hog advice
Sorry, Tom. I call them all bush hogs - that's how I grew up. I also call all tissues Kleenex.:eek:

I get your point, though.

/ Bush Hog advice #44  
I live in South Mississippi and everything around here is called a bush hog. Kind of like soft drinks..."you want a coke?...what kind you want...sprite, rootbeer..? After having recently run my MX6 cutter behind my previous JD 5105 and my current JD 5303 I feel real comfortable saying you won't be pleased with an 8' cutter behind the JD 5045 if the grass is very thick. I would think the 6' cutter would be about the best size for that tractor and with that being the best size, I could recommend the MX6. I have been pleased with mine.

/ Bush Hog advice #45  
Anyone think 62 PTO HP on my M-7040 is too little for my MX-8?

Seems to be fine so far, but I have only used it to cut 2' tall orchard-type grass. Monday I have 23 acres of 5' tall weeds to cut. None of the weeds are thick brush, just very tall, semi-dense grass.

/ Bush Hog advice #46  

Seems to be fine so far, but I have only used it to cut 2' tall orchard-type grass. Monday I have 23 acres of 5' tall weeds to cut. None of the weeds are thick brush, just very tall, semi-dense grass.

I think it will be fine, like I said we are using a 65 pto HP tractor on a 10' bush hog and it handles it well, even in really tough going.

/ Bush Hog advice #47  
That's a good point, transit, about the scalping with a wide deck.

Let's see if I'm still singing the same song next year, though.

Hi St.L Glad to see the blessing of land and needed tools is moving along for you.:thumbsup:
Its not the wide that gets you its the blade size. I mow close to what you will have (lots o lovely rolling "pasture" land) and really love my twin spindle 8' 3pt I pull. PLEASE look at the twins - I mow some pretty rough stuff low and have minimal scalping.
To me a drag type would not be good for "sharp" hills as the tractor butt angle to the draw bar tangent can get too obtuse and then some thing will have to give (you know what I mean:laughing:)
I'm a design engr. M-F and IMHO the multiple blade design so far out shines the single for anything over a 6' shredder - so far outshines- 3pt or drag it dont matter if you want to cover some ground its got to have more than one blade.
I pull the 8' with a baby compared to the 5 series. I will say the hst/4wd is a must for your needs but...

/ Bush Hog advice #48  

I really don't think you will have any kind of problems.

/ Bush Hog advice #50  
I don't think so, either, but hearing other opinions is kind of interesting.
I'll have results in a couple days.

This is my last job with my L5030 pulling a 6' Land Pride and M8540 pulling a 10'6" Woods. I have cut the same stuff with our old CX80 and this is not the hardest stuff I cut. That would be saplings; looking for the pictures of that.