Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....?

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....?
For a comparison:

BB72X w/ chains: $2,450
BB720X w/ chains: $3,195

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #22  
Either company makes brush cutters in light, medium, and heavy duty classifications. I've owned both brands over the years and can highly recommend either one. I am currently running a Brown 472 that is similar in specs to the BB720X and equivalent Bush Hog BH 26. I was fortunate to find a lightly used unit at 30% the cost of a new one. The durability of those units are excellent.

I like the design on the BB720X but I think it's overkill for me. Weight and price.

I'm just surprised at the $300-$350 for chains on the BB72X

Yulp, I follow Tractor Mike on Youtube. I just sold a Woods 72" finish mower. Since I do not mow the area often, the finish mower had a hard time handling the tall grass. I'd often have to make 2 passes.

2" cutting capacity and ~1000# for a 7' single spindle......neither I would consider an HD cutter. More like medium duty.

Which may be just fine.....but what do you intend to cut with it and how often? IF you are frequently mowing a pasture......either would be fine. IF you plan on mowing down land that has sat untouched for 5-6 years.....I'd want something with a little more heft.

If just doing pasture maintenance.....have you considered an 8' twin spindle cutter?

Would you consider the 72" BB72X a HD unit or jump up to the BB720X? A noticeable price increase.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #27  
My Woods BB60 same with the metal skirt. I used it for a season, then took them off and put chains on. However, I mow on some very rough ground, as well as some trails through my woods. I was always catching the metal skirt on something and bending it or tearing it up. Since they are flexible, the chains can go all the way to the ground, providing a bit better protection for thrown objects without always catching on the ground, gouging things up, and making it hard to turn. If I were mowing in a smoother area, it probably would not have made as much of a difference.

I think I'll get chains to be safe.

I'm considering the BB720X - but I am curious what everyone thinks about the weight? i.e. when I'm mowing across a slope. Since my finish mower had 4 wheels (on my smaller tractor) it would drag the rear tires towards the pond. But now with the MX, and the chopper would have the weight on the 3 point and should help with traction, right?

What are the thoughts on the weight of the BB720X? Some people were a little concerned about at 1200+ lbs cutter on a slope.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #30  
WHOO_EEE there rigustifson. Post #15 - lower pic - tractor on the left(LS XR 4155). Looks like you've been out raising some serious dust with that cutter. The way that tractor & cutter look - it must have been one H*LL of a dust cloud.