Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....?

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #31  
WHOO_EEE there rigustifson. Post #15 - lower pic - tractor on the left(LS XR 4155). Looks like you've been out raising some serious dust with that cutter. The way that tractor & cutter look - it must have been one H*LL of a dust cloud.

Before I took that picture I had blown most of the dust off the windows on the New Holland. They had looked the same. When it gets dry here, our sandy soil is like mowing in flour.

IMG_0624.JPG

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #32  
I would stay with a nice HD 72" model myself.

I've read that a lot of people don't like the 7' diameter. Just too big, blades hanging out there another 6" puts that much more torque loads on the system. I would prefer a 10' consisting of 2 5' blade systems if you want to cover your tractor. Can you put the wheels in some? Our 6' HD bushhog covers the wheelbase on our 5420.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #33  
I've read that a lot of people don't like the 7' diameter. Just too big, blades hanging out there another 6" puts that much more torque loads on the system. I would prefer a 10' consisting of 2 5' blade systems if you want to cover your tractor. Can you put the wheels in some? Our 6' HD bushhog covers the wheelbase on our 5420.

Kyle, my 6’ Woods Brush Bull single spindle cutter is almost 12” longer, front to rear tailwheel, than my 8’ Bush Hog 3008 dual spindle cutter.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....?
Sticking with the 72".

Just wondering what the people with concerns on the heavier weight have to say / think. Again, mowing across slopes.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #35  
Sticking with the 72".

Just wondering what the people with concerns on the heavier weight have to say / think. Again, mowing across slopes.

IMHO, the lighter, less expensive, Woods BX72 will do everything you want to do. Mine does.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #36  
1200# on the back of a MX.....across a slope.....not a problem at all

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #37  
Sticking with the 72".

If you are wondering about roll-over, I would think the brush hog might actually improve stability, since all the weight is carried low. Also, if you are using it correctly, your tail wheel is on the ground, supporting a good bit of the weight. (I've also often wondered if swinging significant weight in the form of a mower blade my have a stabilizing, gyroscopic effect. I have no idea if it's enough to be significant, however.)

If you are worried about slipping sideways, I can't help you with that one. If you are on slopes so steep that the added weight does anything other than improve traction, you're working on a whole lot steeper than I do.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #38  
WHOO_EEE there rigustifson. Post #15 - lower pic - tractor on the left(LS XR 4155). Looks like you've been out raising some serious dust with that cutter. The way that tractor & cutter look - it must have been one H*LL of a dust cloud.
That is another reason why you need a cab when running one of those (dust and bugs). Mine has way more grass and limbs on top after cutting my pasture.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....? #39  
Sticking with the 72".

I run a 7 foot mower single spindle with bush hog drive line and tail wheel that has a re-fabricated deck of 1/4" checker plate decking. The whole thing with dual tail wheels weigh over 1500# and in addition to the weight increasing traction, I think it actually has a stabilizing effect on hills due to all that weight being within inches of the ground.

/ Bush Hog vs Woods vs.....?
Thanks everybody!

The BB72X will do everything I need and more but for $800 or so more - I think I'll jump up to the BB720X @ around 1200lbs. Buy once, cry once. I am mowing sideways on the slope and will likely have the mower as low to the ground as I can. Probably will disconnect the top link to allow it to float more. The mower will likely hit the ground in the front but the 720 has nice skid shoes.

I haven't had this MX on the property yet since the weather went to crap as soon as it was delivered. The side stability is mostly pucker factor on my part. I DO have to worry about sliding sideways, but mainly due to if the ground is soft from rain. That was the issue with my 2013 B3200. Since my MX is larger and heavier (and 660lbs in rear wheel weights) - I am hoping even if the ground is soft, it will dig into the ground rather than slide sideways. We shall see.