Bushhogging

/ Bushhogging #1  

Tdawg

Hi Guys,
I'm thinking about getting rid of my skid steer and moving into the tractor world. I have a one man contracting business and I'd like to add a line of work that would help defray the cost of the new tractor. I've done a lot of bushogging in the past and I really enjoy it. Does anyone have any tips on breaking into the business? It seems to me that the customer base would mostly be developers and municipalities (or am I wrong on that), just wondering how you guys got your foot in the door.

Thanks,
Terry

/ Bushhogging #2  
I have no experience with this, but remember reading some old threads on this you might find by using the search function. I haven't made ANY money with tractors in years.

Good luck.

/ Bushhogging #3  
Most of the right of way mowing here is done by large contractors with fleets of tractors and employees. The municipalities generally have their own mowers and crews. The small time mowing operations that are left over have fierce competition and are not very profitable. There are a lot of small "farms/farmers" with tractors and rotary cutters that will work for minimal amounts to bring in some pocket cash.

/ Bushhogging #4  
One of the quickest way to tear up a tractor, is brushhogging on unfamiliar ground. I found this out the hard way, by running over a metal T post and busting a rear tire. The property owner said " Well I did'nt know that was there".

/ Bushhogging #5  
I own and operate a mowing business. We do all sorts of work. From Highway right-of-way mowing, to large acreage properties for a variety of land owners. I've mowed for real estate developers, home owners associations, legal conservators who're managing property for elderly in nursing homes, and even just plain ol' Joes who own a few acres but don't have their own tractor.

Getting started; It is a SERIOUS mistake to go into this line of work without adequate insurance. Also, you need business license in some areas, along with tax liability, possibly employees (and all that goes with THAT) commercially licensed and tagged truck/trailer, ect.....ie, run it as a legitimate business. Most "big ticket" customers will require proof of your being legal. You know the drill.....

Then you hit the streets and compete with already established mowing contractor, as well as the guys who risk it all (without being legal) for beer money.

Smaller jobs that can be done with relatively small equipment USUALLY end up in the hands of the beer money guys. Go after the big jobs and you better have big equipment and the operating capital to carry those jobs for long periods of time. (Some state jobs I do, it's 3+ months before full payment is in my hands) Quite a few of the state/local municipal contracts require performance bonds. Even with a bonding firm, you'll need a percentage of that from your own wallet.

Equipment will take a thrashing. Mowing highway ROW's is some of the most dangerous work you'll encounter. I've had 4 tractors hit by cars/trucks while they were mowing, 3 at a considerable distance from paved roadway. Also had 2 trucks destroyed when motorist's ran off the road and struck them. Then there's the occasional man hole cover, sawed off telephone pole, car rim in the weeds, car battery laying in the weeds, ect....

You'll need a variety of equipment. There is a surprisingly wide array of conditions that require specialized equipment. Once you start adding equipment, you need to find enough work to keep it all busy.

I'm up to 34 full time employees, and 12 tractor/mowers for the upcoming season. The lions share of roadway mowing will require ground crews w/string trimmers, as well as trash clean-up detail BEFORE mowing.

I won't try to kid you, the return is quite good. I wouldn't be doing this unless it was. But the start-up cost is incredible. (I had a rather large windfall that needed to be invested when I was first getting rolling)

Long story short, there's money to be made, but the "fun part" (riding around on a tractor) is but a minute part of the plan. Mostly, it's just "business as usual", dealing with red tape and risk.

/ Bushhogging #6  
Tdawg,

I had similar thoughts as you. I like riding/driving my tractor and making tall grass short. To see some run over piece of property brought back to a sensible looking state is a feeling of a job well done.

That being said, it would really pay for you to do a search on this topic and read the entire threads. You will find those for and against doing what you propose. I would say that my memory would estimate that 70% are against it. To be properly insured, commercially licensed for vehicles, abuse and destruction of equipment, going pay rate for many areas hardly covering costs, and a few other things I can't remember, there are a lot of reasons not to.

Only you can decide how you want to approach it, full on business and associated costs, or just winging it on the side.

There will be mechanical failures. It is just a matter of time. As Dirty Harry said, "... you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" (Not you, just like the line) It may be the 1st time out or the 1,000th (doubt you reach that one without breaking anything) but you WILL break something. Just how costly is it going to be? Will your tractor have to be split in half? Is it just a gearbox on the bushog that you tore up? Fate can be cruel AND costly.

I do some mowing for nonprofit organizations that allow me some tax breaks, but I chose not to try and make a business out of rough cutting for others. You will likely get several more posts to your question. Read all with an open mind and then make your choice and be comfortable with living with its consequences what ever they may be.

If you go forward, good luck in your new undertaking.

/ Bushhogging #7  
At $5.00 per post I've made some money drilling post holes. I've got a part time guy who clears the dirt from the top of the hole while I'm on the tractor. I've never advertised, just a word of mouth thing. I don't fool with setting posts or attaching boards. They mark em' and I drill em'. Biggest job so far was 553 holes in 3 days. We were lucky to find very few rocks on that job.

/ Bushhogging
Thanks for the input everyone. As I mentioned, I have a contracting business already. I have trucks, trailers, equipment and insurance coming out the wazoo!!! That stuff isn't an issue. I'm buying a bush lot that needs some clearing and I also plan to do some sawmilling. I have a Cat skid steer but considering what I want to do on my own property, I think the right tractor can perform most of the work I do with the skid steer plus a bunch more that it can't do very efficiently. Also, based on experience, I'm pretty sure I could write a "How To Fix Broken Equipment" book. So that isn't an issue, either. In my business, I do a little bit of everything but I'm at a point where I want to phase out some of the work that doesn't appeal to me so much. I have no intention of throwing all the eggs in one basket. I've run a business with a pretty good sized crew in the past and I'm never (I MEAN NEVER) going down that road again.

Farmwithjunk...how did you source your customers when you started out?

/ Bushhogging #9  
Thanks for the input everyone. As I mentioned, I have a contracting business already. I have trucks, trailers, equipment and insurance coming out the wazoo!!! That stuff isn't an issue. I'm buying a bush lot that needs some clearing and I also plan to do some sawmilling. I have a Cat skid steer but considering what I want to do on my own property, I think the right tractor can perform most of the work I do with the skid steer plus a bunch more that it can't do very efficiently. Also, based on experience, I'm pretty sure I could write a "How To Fix Broken Equipment" book. So that isn't an issue, either. In my business, I do a little bit of everything but I'm at a point where I want to phase out some of the work that doesn't appeal to me so much. I have no intention of throwing all the eggs in one basket. I've run a business with a pretty good sized crew in the past and I'm never (I MEAN NEVER) going down that road again.

Farmwithjunk...how did you source your customers when you started out?

The first jobs came looking for me. A neighbor passed away and his estate was being managed by a legal conservator (while "family issues" were being worked out) They needed someone to manage the property (590 acres) mostly pasture land. They approached me. When we made our deal, they presented me with the opportunity to mow other property in their care.