Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer?

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer?
I bought my JD 2030 used without a loader. I looked three years for a loader. Then it was missing mounting brackets, (not the main mounts) hardware and hydraulic fittings to attach. I was lucky it had the valve, joystick and cables. I had to buy the mounting bracket for the joystick too.
I bought all the parts from the JD dealer at about 5x what I had guessed when I bought the loader. It can be done, but it takes time & $$$, and labor to install. You also have to make sure the valve is compatible with your hydraulics, open center verses closed center. JD made both, some even in the same model number, mid year
change.

I second buying with a loader, much easier.

Sounds like my suspicions were correct. I keep seeing tractors without loaders that I could buy and put a loader on, or having people tell me about a tractor and then say "you can find a loader for it later"

Without too much research, I figured that it would probably:

1. take about 6 months to find a loader, maybe more
2. it would probably cost $3,000 to $5,000
3. I would have to drive a minimum of 12 hours round trip to go get it
4. It would almost certainly not fit right away, and I'd have to buy parts for it as well as fab things up
5. It would take at least a week to get the loader fitted up properly
6. There's no guarantee it would actually work right by the time it was mounted.

I've been really trying to get the loader and tractor together to avoid all the hassle. Even buying a new loader from Westendorf or Woods etc, I'm still going to have to figure out pumps etc.

This thing came up yesterday. It's beautiful. But it's got 7,000 hours on it and it looks to me like either it was used to mow the carpet in Bill Gate's living room, or at least some of it has been repainted. The loader looks original though, judging by the rust on the screws on the tag.

"This is a great running 4x4 tractor with loader A/C heat 3 sets of remotes tinted windows good tires ready to work and just serviced. The tractor has to different splines for pto drive led lights front and rear just so many extras to list pm with questions or come see it in person"

"About 7000 hours and it has low high plus eight total so 4 low 4 high and forward reverse on column."

He wants $18,500 for it, which is at least $3,000 more than I'd like to pay. Plus it's about 600 miles away and I'm down a trailer right now.

I'm really tempted on this machine. It's a little bigger and more hours than I'd like, but I'll never use it that hard. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0

200198679_4074627982630558_1444816807505295526_n.jpg
206220328_4074625925964097_8781678611499042401_n.jpg
201225625_4074626019297421_5560860300836174616_n.jpg
199745003_4074629439297079_1063782356820087801_n.jpg

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #54  
Looks too good to be true ! Caution on scammers is in order here. No sending money to them and getting money back etc..

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #55  
   / Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #56  
   / Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #57  
That is a very nice tractor, definitely repainted but thats good.
I didn't see 3 remotes only two and it looks like the loader is using both of the remotes.
That was a common way of hooking a loader up several years ago.
Sounds like it has the 4 speed transmission with a high/low and the dash mounted shuttle.
It does sound just a bit high priced to me but not unreasonable.
The parking brake is the weak link on those tractors and expensive to repair.

Last edited:
Dagnabbit. I was talking to him and asked for a few measurements for fitting it on a trailer, he was going to finish bailing and get back to me. I went to work for a few hours, came back and now it's marked as Sold.

I can't say he sold it out from under me, as I hadn't said I'd take it, but I really was excited about it.

I can't believe how fast tractors are moving right now. I called on one the other day after it was online for 2 hours and it sold right when I called him.

/ Buy an existing JD 2020 or wait for newer? #59  
Dagnabbit. I was talking to him and asked for a few measurements for fitting it on a trailer, he was going to finish bailing and get back to me. I went to work for a few hours, came back and now it's marked as Sold.

I can't say he sold it out from under me, as I hadn't said I'd take it, but I really was excited about it.

I can't believe how fast tractors are moving right now. I called on one the other day after it was online for 2 hours and it sold right when I called him.
My comment in post #56..... "Do not hesitate, or it may be quickly gone."
I rest my case!

Yeah :(

Kicking myself over this one. The problem was that it was a little too heavy for the trailer I normally use. I normally use a 10,000lb trailer, which leaves about 7800 net for the load. His tractor was 7585 not counting the loader, which is at least 1500lbs more.

I probably should have just bought it anyway and bought a bigger trailer, like a 14K.

He was going to measure the overall length and height for me when he got done bailing so I could figure out a trailer, but apparently someone committed to it before he got off the tractor.

I was also having a hard time convincing the bank account to cough up another $3500. Oh well.

Snooze you lose :(