Buy new or used Honda Foreman?

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #11  
I used to plow with my 450es. It plowed as good or even better than my BX.
Cold weather starting with good fuel and a charged battery is a non issue. Pull the choke and she'll fire right
up.

Better plowing versus a BX? Pls explain.

The 450ES has a carb, yes, but it has a cold-start enrichener valve, a primer pump, and an electrically-
heated carb. Super-cold temps always make it harder to start unless you have FI, but the biggest
enemy is long-term non-use (months and months).

FI is cool, and even 400-class utility quads come with it now, but $$$$$.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #12  
I have a 2007 Honda Rincon with fuel injection and it never starts as easy as my brother's 1999 Foreman with a carb. His foreman starts instantly. He has about 5000 hard miles on it.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #13  
Better plowing versus a BX? Pls explain.

The 450ES has a carb, yes, but it has a cold-start enrichener valve, a primer pump, and an electrically-
heated carb. Super-cold temps always make it harder to start unless you have FI, but the biggest
enemy is long-term non-use (months and months).

FI is cool, and even 400-class utility quads come with it now, but $$$$$.

Foreman is faster than the BX.

Arguably gets better traction.

Foreman steers better.

Is more nimble.

Pushes as much (actually more) than the bucket on the bx per pass. Lots of stragglers left behind on the outside edge while using the bucket as opposed to the angled blade on the wheeler.

The only advantage the BX has is the ability to stack the snow higher. An angle blade on the BX might change things, but there would still be the cycle speed and lack of steering issues.

As to the 450 and starting.. yes, Im aware it has those features but didnt mention it. The primer bulb and carb heat doesnt come into play that often. Carb heat really only prevents icing in operation and doesnt help starting that much and the primer... well Ive only used it probably 20 times in 13 years. Generally speaking the Foreman is a very good starter, like all Honda small engines.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #14  
We bought a used third hand 2001 Honda Rancher. And I don't think it was treated with tender loving care. Still it starts easily every day. My wife uses it on our horse farm twice a day 365 days a year. It has a carb and starts fine even in the coldest weather. It is a little cold natured and the choke has to be feathered a little 'till it warms up.

We also have a Polaris Sportsman with EFI. The EFI is not as cold natured as the Honda. Honda is fine after a little warm up.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #15  
Foreman is faster than the BX.

Arguably gets better traction.

Foreman steers better.

Is more nimble.

Pushes as much (actually more) than the bucket on the bx per pass. Lots of stragglers left behind on the outside edge while using the bucket as opposed to the angled blade on the wheeler.

Nimble, they are.

But isn't it more about a blade, properly angled, vs a bucket? What if you had a plow on the BX,
and/or you had more than 6-inches of wet snow to deal with?

Just put a plow on a Sportsman 800 for a guy, a 54" monster. Already bent, too.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #16  
I have an 800 Sportsman with a 54" plow and a B7800 with a 60" bucket. There are good reasons for both.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #17  
Nimble, they are.

But isn't it more about a blade, properly angled, vs a bucket? What if you had a plow on the BX,
and/or you had more than 6-inches of wet snow to deal with?

Just put a plow on a Sportsman 800 for a guy, a 54" monster. Already bent, too.

Blade Vs bucket is part of it. But even a blade likely wont take care of the light weight of a BX front end and steering. I suppose I could add a front weight box...

On bending... I didnt like the look and cost of store bought blades.. I built my own. No bending with mine.

I may adapt my blade to my BX... But before that I have to build my loader quick attach.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #18  
I may adapt my blade to my BX... But before that I have to build my loader quick attach.

What about a snowblower on the BX FEL? Then, use the ATV for the light stuff, and the blower when you get a foot or 2 overnight. I imagine you get as much snow as I used to see in MI when I lived there.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #19  
What about a snowblower on the BX FEL? Then, use the ATV for the light stuff, and the blower when you get a foot or 2 overnight. I imagine you get as much snow as I used to see in MI when I lived there.

I got a blower for the back of the BX now. But even back in the old days when we used to get a lot of snow, the blade on the wheeler could handle all but the heaviest snow with ease. Drifts were kind of an issue however.

As to snowfall, we arent getting anywhere near what we used to get. Maybe one or two 30+cm snowfalls. Mostly we get in the 10-20cm range. Our accumulation is way down. Used to be able to snowmobile everywhere, even up the roads in a storm until the plows came, not so much anymore.

A QA is on my list.. Ive been trying to get some close ups and dimensions of the factory Kubota one so I could copy. I cant find too much of what Im after online, and none of the dealers have one on the lot. If I ever get the QA built ( I need the QA because I use my bucket and bolt on forks all winter) Ill try adapting my blade

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #20  
A QA is on my list.. Ive been trying to get some close ups and dimensions of the factory Kubota one so I could copy. I cant find too much of what Im after online, and none of the dealers have one on the lot. If I ever get the QA built ( I need the QA because I use my bucket and bolt on forks all winter) Ill try adapting my blade

There is a member here (or was) that had designed an awesome ssqa adaper, he had cad drawings that he sent me a couple years ago. I can't for the life of me remember who it was though. I will have to dig it up and let you know.