Buy new or used Honda Foreman?

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #31  
Well I bought used! So far I'm happy with the new rig. Time will tell if it was a smart move. I like the simplicity of the old ones and the price!!! And no financing! (0:

Nice! The fenders on those models are great. If you snag it on something the black part will pull away and not break the fender! Just a couple of the little black plastic snap thingys (technical term) and you're good to go! Depending on what you spent I think you did well!

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman?
Nice! The fenders on those models are great. If you snag it on something the black part will pull away and not break the fender! Just a couple of the little black plastic snap thingys (technical term) and you're good to go! Depending on what you spent I think you did well!

It was purchased in the $2000 plus range. 155 hours on it.

Yes I like the old black fenders! (0:

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #33  
155 hours!! Holy cow. That thing may as well be new old stock! Short of running it with no air filter or oil on the crank case I don't think there is anything they could have done to hurt it!

Great buy! If I found one in that price range and condition I'd give mine away and buy it.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #34  
I think you got an awesome deal for less than $3k! My '01 Rancher has nearly 1200 hours so I'd say yours is practically brand new!

Last edited:
   / Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #36  
Great score!
Go get a couple of NGK Iridium plugs (OE plugs).
They are pricey! But - when they foul you are done it won't start at all, period. You can get them at Oreilly, AutoZone, etc but usually have to order from them. Can always get them at the dealer but they were higher. The way you foul them is leaving the choke on and taking off riding and forget it, you shut if off and then it won't start. NOT a bid deal, but both of mine did it and it will tick you off if you take off in the cold dark hunting, forget to push in the choke, and bam you are stuck in BFE.
Just get a spare, wrap it up good in a plastic baggie and keep it on the bike and you are good to go!

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #37  
Well I bought used! So far I'm happy with the new rig. Time will tell if it was a smart move. I like the simplicity of the old ones and the price!!! And no financing! (0:

My origional ATV was a 2000 Foreman 450ES, these ATVs are tanks, the stock bumpers are toughest stock ones around. Traded it in for my 2004 Honda Rincon because its more comfortable with the IRS. I think Carb machines are better than EFI for several reasons-the carbs have pull starts, and you can shut the fuel off. The EFI machines are completely reliant on battery and unless I am mistaken do not have the pull start in case the battery dies. You cant shut the fuel off for long term storage as well.

I never had a problem starting both ATVs in cold weather. They have primer pumps and a choke for cold weather starting. Plus you can inject a little ether on carb models but not efi models. The only advantage an EFI model has is warm up time. Carbs require more warm up time to operate correctly.

One thing that I do which keeps my ATVs and carb engiines running is I always shut the fuel off, and for overnight or longer storage I always shut the fuel off and let the engine run out of gas. The Rincon and Foreman always started first or second crank.

Also if you dont have one yet, invest in a battery miser, the ones that come with the quick disconnect harnesses. Otherwise you will replace you batteries every 3 to 4 years.

My Rincon does a great job plowing with a 60" moose plow. You can also get the front mount snowblowers for the Foreman.

It should last you a looong time, I have several friends I ride with who have Foreman 450 and ES models with over 30,000 miles on them.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #38  
I miss the old Foreman ES still, the headlight on the stearing wheel is one of my fav. features and one regret I traded it in instead of keeping it.

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #39  
Congratulations. I've had a used Honda and loved it. They are great machines and I'm sure you will have many years of enjoyment and fun out of it!!!

Eddie

/ Buy new or used Honda Foreman? #40  
I think Carb machines are better than EFI for several reasons-the carbs have pull
starts, and you can shut the fuel off. The EFI machines are completely reliant on battery and unless I am mistaken
do not have the pull start in case the battery dies. You cant shut the fuel off for long term storage as well.

More and more ATVs have deleted the pull or kick start backup. Without a compression release, it is very
difficult to start a quad of more than 250ccs. I have never been able to start my Honda TRX300FW with its
kick-start, even tho it runs great. I remember at the end of the 70s when makers started deleting kick-
start backups from street bikes. There was a bit of backlash, but they are pretty much gone now. Running
a modern ATV with an extremely low battery can damage the CDI and regulator.

Some ATVs have at last moved to vacuum-controlled petcocks, as M/Cs have had for 30+ years. That means
the fuel is OFF when the engine is not running. Of course the first Foreman (86-89) had a fuel pump, since the tank
was lower than the engine. Most folks do not manually turn off the fuel petcock (if available) after every use.

For emissions reasons, FI for all ATVs is not far off, I suspect. Probably first here in CA.