Buying a 3 point hitch disc

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc #11  
Roller bearing/ball bearing disc's are great IF YOU HAVE SEALED BEARINGS....Open roller bearings need constant attention. Cast iron "boxings" can continue to function way beyond the point when wear is beginning to show. I've seen boxings with 1/2" of wear still operating with no issues. Just pump 'em full of grease before each days use and life goes on.

Open roller bearings--they do attract dirt and grit. Washing them after a use with diesel and relubing is my approach

Box bearings--you're right about these taking a licking and keeping on ticking. My old 6.5 ft Towner offset disc has this type of bearing. I replaced the grease zerks and pack a lot of grease into the bearing before use. No other servicing needed.

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc #12  
Open roller bearings--they do attract dirt and grit. Washing them after a use with diesel and relubing is my approach

Box bearings--you're right about these taking a licking and keeping on ticking. My old 6.5 ft Towner offset disc has this type of bearing. I replaced the grease zerks and pack a lot of grease into the bearing before use. No other servicing needed.

I just noticed that I had suggested pillow block bearings in error I meant the cast block bearings and agree that you just grease these up before use and seem to last forever.

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc #13  
I have had the box frame KK for 3 years now. I have veryhard clay soil and it handles it without difficulty except now I have more tractor this disk was really made for so I have added a 12' wheeled tandem to my inventory. In damp clay I did have some problem plugging between blades and scrapers don't appear to be an option so I wrapped pieces of chain from the frame down around the spools wherever there were blade pairs without hangers and bearings. That took care of the problem completely.

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc #14  
I've got a 5055 John Deere and am considering buying a King Kutter 6.5 Foot Box Frame Disc Harrow to work on my food plots. Any experiences with the durability of this particular Kink Kutter disc? I've read some reviews that caution on the durability particularly the welds. My farm terrain is slightly sloped and has quite a few rocks.

How is your 5055 set up? 2WD or 4WD? Does it have a loader? What size rear tire? I have a 5303 which is the same as the 5065. I have too been looking at options and plan to purchase a new disc within the next year or so. Still studying them as I expect this to be a lifetime purchase and want to be satisfied with it.

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc
It is 4WD and I have 16.9 - 28 on the back and 12.5/80 - 18 on the front. It is equipped with a FEL. I also added extra weights on the tires for stability on the sloping terrain that I have.

Not settled on my disc selection yet, but some great advice in this thread and I really appreciate it.

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc #16  
I am unfamiliar with that front tire size. Is it an R1 tread? My 5303 is basically the same except the fronts are 9.5-24.

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc
My front tires are 9.5 - 24. Fat fingered the cut and paste.

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc #18  
Thanks guys for the input on this. I was about to buy a 3 point hitch 8ft disc and then suddenly realized that the rear wheels on my JD 5425 are 7.5 ft wide, so I figure I needed something wider. Going wider probably means going with a wheel drage like the JD 105. Are there any 10' wide 3 point disc? I here that a wheel drag disc will give you a better finish more smooth I guess for pasture or haying, etc. Any suggestions?

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc #19  
I have a M7040 with the same width. An 7.5' Howse tandem 3PH disc covers the tire tracks.

The disc is shipped in its narrowest configuration (naturally) so widening the rear gangs will give the coverage needed.

There are several threads on the advantages and disadvantages of an offset disc vs. a tandem disc. Doing a search will give some input.

I have both and prefer the 3PH tandem vs. the offset pull type. Both will leave a furrow but going over it with a harrow or a homemade drag evens it all out.

I even had a 6', 3PH, offset John Deere disc. The offset blades wanted to turn the tractor since it was a solid hook-up.

The thing about the tandem that is annoying is the little 2" strip down the middle of the pass that is not turned. I haven't quite figured out yet how to add a single sweep to the middle of the disc to deal with that but it will be accomplished someday. That is a bit **** but that's the way the mind works when sitting on the tractor for hours.

/ Buying a 3 point hitch disc #20  
Oh, well thats helpful. Although I am not sure about "widening" the rear gang?
Does the adjustment to set the angel of the rear gang result in a wider cut of the disc?
Thanks