Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #171  
No Dodge doesn't built the diesel but neither does Ford or Chevy now. Navistar builds the powerstroke and Isuzu build the Duramax. The 6.2 also certainly was not one of the first Duramax's. The 6.2 was a GM product the Duramax is made from Isuzu. The 6.2 was also not desinged from the ground up either from everything I have read and the people that I've talked to. I will try and find the info. on the 6.2 and post it here.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #172  
You're right. The quit production of the 5.7 in 1984 and just used what was left of them in the 1985 models.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #173  
Back to my main point, a design that allows you to achieve an objective with less input is a BETTER design. That is what an automatic anything does. The fact that the implementation is inadequate in some instance does not invalidate the principle behind the design. The objective of a vehicle is movement from one point to another, it is easier and better to do that with a device that requires less input from you the driver. That advantage is magnified when you need to do something else, a foot/hand freed from working on the clutch is one free to work one more tool. Translation BETTER.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #174  
Right, it's not a Durimax and I shouldn't have typed that. It also isn't a converted gas engine. It was built by GM's Detroit Diesel Division.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #175  
SethO-

I have to admit, I'm getting a real kick out of how your definition of "BETTER" changes with every additional post!

FIRST it was $$$, but that didn't pan out too well. THEN it was "functionality", but lack of "good design" now makes that an invalid criteria too. NOW it's "efficiency." I can't wait to see what you claim you really meant on the next post! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Go ahead and continue to dig - you'll just have a harder time getting out... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #176  
Ford outsells GM every year because they are cheaper and they have the reputation of financing anyone that can fog a mirror. When I bought my Ram I was at first looking at half tons. I priced everything...comparably equipped Dodges and GMs were $2000 higher than the Fords.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #177  
RanchMan,

The real definition of BETTER (or BEST) is what you have, some people will say what you can afford. If you are not satisfied with either, then you are are in big trouble.

Seth

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #178  
<font color=blue>I'm pretty much out of patience with this thread </font color=blue>

But you keep replying, don't you /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I completely agree with you that gear transmissions are a must for farming applications where precise ground speed is needed for planting, fertilizing and weed control. And I agree with you that a competent operator can perform the same tasks equally well on an HST or gear tractor most of the time. However, I still feel that equally equipped CUTs with the same PTO HP in a head to head competion made up of the most common uses for CUTs (mowing, FEL work, brush hogging, log skidding, landscaping, you name it) using the same operator would show that the HST performs those chores faster with less wear on the operator. That is my feeling. I don't have any data to support it.

Since everyone here has a pretty strong opinion on it, why doesn't someone step up and organize an event, supply the tractors and get it over with? Then we can see who has the last laugh VS. the full belly of crow. Or maybe it will end up a draw and we can enjoy a nice family meal together. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #179  
SethO -

Your last post would could have been funnier - I think you are starting to confuse yourself.

At least I see you've come full circle to the $$$ issue again! I'll give you this: you're consistent in expressing inconsistency. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #180  
<font color=blue> why doesn't someone step up and organize an event, supply the tractors and get it over with? </font color=blue>

Mossman...you may recall that I offered to provide the spot to conduct just such a shindig in the "Best Mountain Tractor" thread, but I'm not signing on to supply the tractors /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I don't think anyone took the idea seriously. Too bad....we might have got a lot of work done....let's see....road improvement/maintenance, make two ponds in a stream, one lake with significant dam requiring tons of dirt moving (truck and tractor comparisons) 3 acres to be cleared and put into vineyards, seven acres of pastures and some miscellaneous auger work for posts and fencing...WHarv and others could hold welding forums while automating and improving the three gates....plus we'll need fire pits, spits and such to roast pigs and goats....wells for water to make ice for all the cold drinks....all in all, that ought to be enough to provide fodder for plenty of contests... /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Addendum:....theoretically all would be welcome, but from the tone of this thread, and the obviously diverse cast of TBN characters, Harv and the Moderators would have to provide tight security screening to register the numerous guns, swords and knives.... and Charlie will have to head up an effort to have all sign waivers and promise to be nice!