Buying a first Tractor; HST or not?

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #12  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm in the same situation that you are, except that I won't be buying for about 3 years.

<hr></blockquote>

Dang, I just heard that they're gonna stop making tractors in 2 1/2 years. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Some sort of government crackdown I guess. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #13  
And for me, the most important major benefit of HST is safety. Of course, I realize that consideration is too often considered to be irrelevant until it's too late, but I'd be remiss if I didn't bring it up now rather than later.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #14  
<font color=blue>"Dang, I just heard that they're gonna stop making tractors in 2 1/2 years."</font color=blue>

Naw, you misunderstood what you heard.

What was said was that anyone who purchased a tractor within the last year will subsidize the purchase of tractors in the next 2 1/2 to 3 years./w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

See, the government figures that this will encourage the purchase of products, which is good for the economy. Then they'll be able to say - "See how many tractors are being bought with our new subsidation program? Now we can have everyone who bought anything help new buyers with their purchases and not use YOUR tax dollars!!" Good thinking, huh?/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #15  
/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Just checked my pockets.

Pulled'em all the way out. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

It's bad news. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #16  
/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

Ever hear of REPO? /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #17  
I'll throw in a new angle. Whats your time worth? When I am mowing my horse pasture, which has lots of trees in it, I bet I could save almost two minutes an hour if I had only gotten a hydro instead of shuttle shift. It takes me 3 hours to mow everything. I could save 6 minutes per mowing session, which I do six time per year. OK, I'm at 36 minutes per year of time savings for mowing. The other main use of the tractor is working up an indoor arena, where I can see no time savings. I saved at least $4000 by purchasing a shuttle shift tractor over a hydro. Spread that over say 10 years and thats still $400 per year for me to save 36 minutes. Thats $666 per hour.

Sure, a hydro would be nice, but in MY case, it just didn't add up. So take a serious look at the actual time that could be saved with a hydro doing the main tasks in which you need it to perform. Both systems can do the exact same tasks.

Operating a tractor with shuttle shift is easier than driving a car with a manual transmission. My wife has had absolutly no problems operation a shuttle shift, I seriously doubt you would either.

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #18  
<font color=blue>most important major benefit of HST is safety</font color=blue>

/w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif Not trying to start a debate here, just curious what your reasoning behind this is...

/ Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #19  
<font color=blue>"And, just to add my $0.02, I won't purchase anything that doesn't have HST."</font color=blue>

Ditto. I have never hear someone on this board say: "I'm bummed that I bought the Hydro". "I just wish I had opted to shift all the time".

Check out the Kubota L3410 and L3710. They sound like what you are looking for. I have a L3410 and it has been rock solid for the three years I have owned it. Oh, yeah, they have a $1,400 rebate until the end of July.

Attachments

• 46-172049-FEL.jpg
    46-172049-FEL.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 114
   / Buying a first Tractor; HST or not? #20  
Mikos,

Another TBN'er from the great NW - glad to see it. I'm a bit further up north but was in your neighborhood two weeks ago picking up a puppy.

I like your response for your time saving comparison. /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif Well thought out but.....I think your comparison might need some more qualification. For example you might want to compare the exact same tractor with the hydro vs. without the hydro. I doubt you'd find it to be a $4000 difference in any case. Most of the models I shopped had only about $1500.00 difference in price.

The reason your specific tractor might have been $4000 less is mainly due to the fact that the Kioti brand simply sells for significantly less money. (Good tractors - they just cost less.)