Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover?

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover?
   / Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #162  
I got one of these. Has a ball on top for a GN. While I don't have a GN, yet, I always find it easier to park a trailer with my tractor.

Tractor Trailer Hitch Gooseneck Receiver 3 Point Hay Attachment
Yep much easier! :thumbsup:
This is the most versatile 3 point hitch: TRANSFORMER Quick Hitch Compatible Platform - OMNI Mfg LLC

P4270003.JPG P4270007.JPG P4270016.JPG P7280006.JPG

I agree 100%! I have a ball on my pallet forks, so I use the tractor to push the trailers into my shop with the FEL. I can maneuver them around really well like this.
Yep, much better on the front! :thumbsup:
P1060004.JPG P1060021.JPG

This is the most versatile 3 point hitch: TRANSFORMER Quick Hitch Compatible Platform - OMNI Mfg LLC

View attachment 360704 View attachment 360705 View attachment 360706 View attachment 360707

Xfaxman, do you think the toplink connection area on that would clear something like a JD iMatch quick hitch?

This is usually the issue I run into with great hitches like this - they don't fit my iMatch because the toplink connection doesn't have enough space for the bulky iron "hook" iMatch uses.

What I am referencing:

deere_imatch.jpg

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #164  
Great looking trailer. Aren't you glad you got the extra length. Fits your tractor and UTV perfectly. If you had an attachment on the FEL that you needed to sit down, you could back the tractor on and drop the attachment on the ramps after you folded them up

Looks like it puts the perfect weight on your truck. Let the trailer do most of the hauling, that's what it's made for. Just put enough weight on the truck for a smooth pull. If I'm too light on the truck I notice a little "wag the tail" feeling. If I load too heavy on the truck it tends to buck a little if you hit a hump or dip in the road.

Can you do me a small favor???? I'd like to know the distance between your axles. Measure from hub center to hub center, or even the distance between the tire tread?? I think my tandems are closer together than yours.

I built this hitch adapter that fits my QH or can be used directly on the tractor. I carry a 2" ball hitch and a pin hitch. Has the large ball on top to move the GN. Welded a couple 3/8" chain hooks to it if needed.

DSC07006.JPG

Great looking trailer. Aren't you glad you got the extra length. Fits your tractor and UTV perfectly. If you had an attachment on the FEL that you needed to sit down, you could back the tractor on and drop the attachment on the ramps after you folded them up.

VERY glad I got the 25+5 instead of the 20+5. And I made an offer to a dealer in Houston for a 20+5 Load Trail last week. I am SURE GLAD he didn't accept it! WHEW!

Looks like it puts the perfect weight on your truck. Let the trailer do most of the hauling, that's what it's made for. Just put enough weight on the truck for a smooth pull. If I'm too light on the truck I notice a little "wag the tail" feeling. If I load too heavy on the truck it tends to buck a little if you hit a hump or dip in the road.

I thought the same thing. The Gator weighs about 1800#, so that's just at the top end of what I would want to put that far forward on the trailer.

Truth be told, I was just so giddy to try the trailer out, I drove the Gator up there, then got the tractor out and wanted to see them both on the trailer, ha! Normally, I would keep most of the weight back on the axles, with just enough forward on the trailer to give a good ride. I'll have to toy with that a little to find the right placement for the tractor+shredder.

Can you do me a small favor???? I'd like to know the distance between your axles. Measure from hub center to hub center, or even the distance between the tire tread?? I think my tandems are closer together than yours.

I'm pretty sure they are, too. Big Tex is the only manufacturer that I looked at that does a 48" spread axle. That's one of the bigger reasons that I bought the Big Tex vs. the PJ. I liked that I could keep the tractor a little more forward on the trailer, while still being pretty much on top of an axle. I'm not sure what a standard spread is, but I know the Big Tex ones give you a few more inches, if not quite a few. It's exactly 10 feet from the middle of the two axles to the end of the dovetail on this trailer.

What is your spread?

I built this hitch adapter that fits my QH or can be used directly on the tractor. I carry a 2" ball hitch and a pin hitch. Has the large ball on top to move the GN. Welded a couple 3/8" chain hooks to it if needed.

View attachment 360723

That's a nice set up! I like the little holder for the extra receiver on there! :thumbsup:

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #166  
Wow, that was quick. Just got back in from measuring mine. I'm on 48" spread as well. I knew mine were pretty wide but thought yours looked wider.

My tandems are centered 17'10" from the front end of my deck. They are centered 14' forward of my dovetail end. That's on a 28+4.

The plus side to that is my trailer doesn't shortcut as bad and I don't have to worry as much about overloading the truck. Downside is I can drag my tail on the ground easier.

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #167  
Tried to find a good side view of my trailer and this is all I could come up with.

DSC04642.JPG

Wow, that was quick. Just got back in from measuring mine. I'm on 48" spread as well. I knew mine were pretty wide but thought yours looked wider.

My tandems are centered 17'10" from the front end of my deck. They are centered 14' forward of my dovetail end. That's on a 28+4.

The plus side to that is my trailer doesn't shortcut as bad and I don't have to worry as much about overloading the truck. Downside is I can drag my tail on the ground easier.

I actually didn't measure, that's just what is painted on the neck under the model number on the trailer "48" Spread Axle". I'm sure that's what it is, but when I go out to the ranch later today, I will double check!

I, too, figure I will drag my dove on the ground a few times with this one, but that's okay. Shouldn't be all that often. I guess we will see!

But I do like that the angle of approach is a little lower.

Tried to find a good side view of my trailer and this is all I could come up with.

View attachment 360726

Ahh, yeah they do look spread the same distance. Maybe the lower profile deck on mine kind of gives a visual illusion on the spacing?

And you're right, your axles really are centered a nice distance forward. I like that. I'm not sure why most manufacturers put them so far to the rear and leave so much deck space ahead of them? I know I would rather drop my 6' shredder on the deck and not on the fold-up ramps, but I guess it mostly works out the same.

/ Buying a new GN trailer: tilt or deckover? #170  

View attachment 360704 View attachment 360705 View attachment 360706 View attachment 360707

Xfaxman, do you think the toplink connection area on that would clear something like a JD iMatch quick hitch?

This is usually the issue I run into with great hitches like this - they don't fit my iMatch because the toplink connection doesn't have enough space for the bulky iron "hook" iMatch uses.
Yes, it will fit and even be green, here is a quote from the Website:

The OMNI TRANSFORMER is our strongest most versatile hitch. 62lbs of steel MIG Welded into a one piece beast!

We overbuild this baby so you can have confidence that whatever you hook up to is still gonna be there when you get to where you were going. It is built to John Deere IMatch specifications so it will work on the IMatch and most other Quick Hitches as well as all Category One and most Category Two 3 point hitches!

1/2" plate, angle and flat stock and 3/16" tubing used throughout. Unique wrap around lower link mounts assures there will be no separation of the hitch and your tractor. Hardened Grade 8 - 3/4" bolts are used to connect our stable of attachments.

What other hitch will allow you to use standard 2" receiver mounts, and our middlebuster, ripper, log skidder plate, tool bed/carry all, lifting boom, weight rack and gooseneck ball ?

We challenge you to find a better built hitch!

We sandblast and then apply 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of dark gray implement enamel. Trailer Receiver and all attachments are painted gloss black. Kubota Orange, John Deere Green and Gloss Black available as an option.

Here is another use for the top receiver:
P2100009.JPG P2100012.JPG P2100013.JPG P2100014.JPG

Last edited: